Hatching Brine Shrimp

noyd

I've been hatching brine shrimp for about 3 days now in one of those DIY two 2 litre drink bottle type hatcherys.

* It seems as though only 50% of the eggs has hatched, do you think the rest will hatch in the next coming days?

* Once they hatch, whats the easiest way to seperate the brine shrimp from the remaining eggs that have not hatched?

* Also, how long do you need to wait for the brine shrimp to grow about the size of the brine shrimp that you buy in frozen cubes? Will they even grow that big in a small hatchery?

I fed some of what has hatched including some of the eggs (is that okay? dont know how to seperate them yet) to some of my 3cm calvus today, and they seem to love it.

The eggs are Premium Quality Brine Shrimp Eggs (Artemia Cysts) by Bio-Marine Aquafauna.

Cheers unsure.gif

Once they hatch, whats the easiest way to seperate the brine shrimp from the remaining eggs that have not hatched?

there is plenty of info on the net and other topics on this forum about this.

It seems as though only 50% of the eggs has hatched, do you think the rest will hatch in the next coming days?

i have found that most of the cysts hatch from about 15 to 48 hours, depends how they have been stored, how old they are etc.

I fed some of what has hatched including some of the eggs (is that okay? dont know how to seperate them yet) to some of my 3cm calvus today, and they seem to love it.

im pretty sure you can feed your fish the cysts with no ill affects (well i do anyway).

Also, how long do you need to wait for the brine shrimp to grow about the size of the brine shrimp that you buy in frozen cubes? Will they even grow that big in a small hatchery?

You can grow brine brine shrimp up to the size you buy in the cubes, it just takes allot more time and effort as you need to start feeding your baby brine algae etc. You can by special brine food at tou lfs or do a google search as there is other stuff you can feed them.

hth

Harry

Archived