Peacock Bass

romak50

Hi guys, just bought 3 juvenile Peacock Bass. From all reports they are pretty full-on fish, and their predatory skills is legendary.

They are in a 2ft tank while they grow and when big enough to mix it with the big boys, will go into my 6ft tank.

Anyway, does anyone else out there have any Peacock Bass? Any stories / things to watch out for / tips?

They seem pretty rare here in Oz.

Cheers!! :thumb

Animal cruelty guidelines prohibit the feeding of live vertebrates to other animals. We discourage this practice and will remove posts, which indicate its implementation without notice.

• 2 weeks later...

Not overly rare ...

There are 2 big breeders in QLD. IMO all good quality cichla in NSW originate from these two pairs of fish.

They fetch a good price still due to the cost of raising and keeping them. And the fact they are a bugger of a fish to raise....

A tip - wean them off live food asap. Get them a cheaper alternative as it will end up costing you biggggg time otherwise.

Hi,

i keep a pair of these beauties. They had their first spawn about a month ago now, but i lost the fry acouple of days after they began freeswimming.

I have never been able to mix mine with any of my other americans. Even though the cichla are very large, they are big wusses. I almost lost my male, who was 30cm+ back then, to an 6" synspilum?

I agree, to try and get them off live feeders. I had to starve my pair for 11.5 weeks before they accepted any food. But if they are juvenile, it may be dangerous to starve them until larger? My fish now eat whitebait chunks.

From my personal experience they are a very hard fish to raise, but as you can see, some people find it easy.

10050460 - can you please elaborate on your comment. Have you spawned them before? Have you raised them from eggs before? Do you have any tips that may help me with my next spawn. Sorry for all the questions, but i was very disapointed when i lost my fry after they seemed to be doing so well and i am willing to try alternate methods. thanks in advance.

Jaymes

theres more than 2 breeders for sure, all the ones i have seen are all good qualities and theres plenty of them! they look like full on fish but they are just hungry.

quite easy to raise :thumb

This post wasn't thought through.

I stated there were two BIG breeders in QLD, not two breeders.

If you like i can find you some links to the extremely poor quality cichla around, both here and in the other states. Jaymes pair, which is very nice and pretty good quality originated from one of the BIG breeders in QLD.

There is certainly not plenty of them, as they fetch up to $40 each @ 4-5cm down here (Thats off breeders) and are certainly not easy to raise.

Sam. ;)

theres more than 2 breeders for sure, all the ones i have seen are all good qualities and theres plenty of them! they look like full on fish but they are just hungry.

quite easy to raise :thumb

This post wasn't thought through.

I stated there were two BIG breeders in QLD, not two breeders.

If you like i can find you some links to the extremely poor quality cichla around, both here and in the other states. Jaymes pair, which is very nice and pretty good quality originated from one of the BIG breeders in QLD.

There is certainly not plenty of them, as they fetch up to $40 each @ 4-5cm down here (Thats off breeders) and are certainly not easy to raise.

Sam. ;)

hey sammy, what i meant was raise from a 3 cm fish, not 3mm! ;)

what do you mean by big? big as in alot of fish? big as in big fish, big as in popular? clarifiy your details!

we all on the forum would like to know any cheap ones. its about sharing knowledge!

cheers :thumb

they can be found on another forum. Not sure if im allowed to name other forums on here, so pm me if you really want to know?

My pair is from Lungys stock and i think the other guy goes by the name of cichla john?

HTH

Jaymes

Hey Jaymes - found a pretty cool link with images of Cichla breeding in an aquarium and the results. Might be some usefull tips for successfull breeding in the future........

http://www.bestfish.com/cichla/cichla1.html

Greg

Archived