Help needed - Powerhead + pvc tubing under substrate

Gert Jensen

I've given up searching through google and the forum, so if anybody knows where to find these instructions please speak up :confused:

About 6 months ago I saw somebody's design of a undergravel network of pvc tubes that popped up from the gravel here and there. They were all connected to a powerhead with a sponge attached and were supposed to help move poo and excess food off the substrate and straight into tank.

Somebody had posted the instructions on how to design a good undergravel pvc tube network on the net, with some dos and don'ts, and I was planning to incorporate that when setting up a new tank. Problem is, I've lost the link to the instructions. I was sure I saw it either here or at www.malawicichlidhomepage.com (I can't find it there).

If anybody knows what I'm talking about, and knows the whereabouts for these instructions please speak up :) If not, I guess I'll just go with a bit of trial and error.

Cheers,

Gert

Feel silly now.. Just found it.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ug_jets.php

Has anybody tried this sort of setup?

Heh heh. :lol2:

Was just going to post - the Americans love UGJ on cichlid-forum.com.

Personally, I find a well positioned spray-bar accomplishes the same thing.

Spray bar? Sorry for asking silly questions, but could you please expand on that :)

Cheers!

A well directed return (spray) bar from a cannnister or sump filter can get plenty of movement to move waste around, though I am looking at a UGJ for my deeper tanks as I cant get enough pressure to acheive what I am after with a spray bar alone.

Cheers,

Brett

Heh heh. :lol2:

Was just going to post - the Americans love UGJ on cichlid-forum.com.

Personally, I find a well positioned spray-bar accomplishes the same thing.

Spray bar? Sorry for asking silly questions, but could you please expand on that :)

Cheers!

Not a silly question at all, but like Brett said . . .

A well directed return (spray) bar from a cannnister or sump filter can get plenty of movement to move waste around, though I am looking at a UGJ for my deeper tanks as I cant get enough pressure to acheive what I am after with a spray bar alone.

Cheers,

Brett

Good point about using UGF on a deeper tank. My biggest tank is a 4ft, 20" deep with, an 1850L/Hr external cannister, so works fine for keeping detritus off the bottom. But I can see the benefit of a UGF system on a bigger tank.

From what I've read seems like a lot of work to set up one right, but that's just me.

I notice also the North American enthusiasts seem to favour more the Hang On Back filters over external cannisters and sumps, so maybe that's a one reason why UGFs are popular there and not so popular here - HOB filters obviously don't stir up the tank too much with their waterfall inlet to the tank.

I am still trying to work out how to do mine, that is to run a couple of powerheads as UGJ's or hook up a couple to a 2200 l/ph cannister I can get for a cheap price.......I also think a bit of strongish current low down may prove favourable in getting some of my L-cats in the mood for some love'n.

Archived