Tank stand weight ratings.

EcHo2134

Hi

I have recently acquired a cabinet for a 3x2x2 tank. its professionally made, with no load rating whatsoever. Its a proper cabnet that cost $600 new.

however i have had a custom 3 ft tank made that holds 450L, out of 12mm glass.

I'm just wondering is it safe to use this stand for my tank (comming this friday)

Scared =( as i seem weary it can hold this much weight.

Ernie

For that size tank there should be 6 vertical load supports, and one cross brace... that is based on it being built rock solid...

Being a cabinet it is already way stronger than a simple 4 posted stand... but without knowing the type or size of timber used, and without seeing the integrity of the joins I would only be guessing...

(also to note, if it was built by someone who builds stands for aquatic purposes you will be fine, as they fully understand the load factors and 2ft high is not uncommon)

HTH

It sounds like it's plenty strong enough. Just to cover your butt, did you let the maker know what tank dimensions and thickness you were to put onto it?

If it were one of the 'cheap' cabinets with only 5 posts then it's only good for a standard 3 foot tank (3 x 14 x 18). The ones for 3 x 2 x 2 come with 6 posts usually, at least from reputable houses that don't want to be sued.

Your tank sure is deep... a 3 x 2 x 2.5? It's a long way to the bottom for maintenance. My arms aren't even that long (30"). biggrin.gif

Cheers - OziOscar.

Yes...2.5 ft deep

i've been in this hobby for 12 yrs..since i was 10 years old..so the extra work doesn't bother me...just use a step ladder (as the top of the tank will be 6ft high).

its a prefab cabinet......don't know why it came with 6 posts..it just does.

=)

thanks for the help guys..tank comming tommorow (after a 2 month wait)

huh.gif

Archived