How many T's in a 5x20x20

phear

hey guys ive got a 5x20x20 tank which has around 340lt, just thinking about getting some tropheous wanted to for ages now. how many fish would u guys reccomend to have in there to grow up and have a nice sized breeding colony going on? also if any of u guys have fry for sale at 4-5cm minimum pm me and let me know what u have and how much i will be after a fair few and ill pay for shipping to adelaide.

Cheers Jamie

hey guys ive got a 5x20x20 tank which has around 340lt, just thinking about getting some tropheous wanted to for ages now. how many fish would u guys reccomend to have in there to grow up and have a nice sized breeding colony going on? also if any of u guys have fry for sale at 4-5cm minimum pm me and let me know what u have and how much i will be after a fair few and ill pay for shipping to adelaide.

Cheers Jamie

Jamie,

Try this site. Gives you a bit of an idea of how many adults etc you can house.

I did a quick check on your tank. See the following:-

Steve's Tropheus

Please note this info is only my opinion...

Your tank volume is approximately 393 Litres, 87 Imp. Gals, 103 U.S. Gals.

Theoretically, you can accommodate 25 Tropheus of 4 inch (10.2 cm) in this tank.

As Adults:

This tank can accommodate a total of 33 adult Tropheus, if there are 1 species. The tank is an okay choice (longer would be better), adults should do alright in this tank.

Note that it calculates a 5x20"x20" as 393 litres.

hth

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Jamie....glad to hear from you mate! Welcome to the T club!

Steve's tropheus calculator is a great resource to use to judge the number of Ts to keep. We all started off learning from this guy!

Your tank size will be great for keeping tropheus. Jamie (Parrdog) has a similar sized tank for his adult colony of mpulungu. I would recommend u keeping only one variant in that tank but if u really want to u could get away with 2 variants - duboisi or any moorii. Also buy as many as u can afford to keep taking into account inevitable losses due to disease (touch wood not) and aggression. Also u might need to remove some excessive males.

Breeders tend to sell their Ts at 3cm since it could take up to 3-6months for them to grow to 5cm. For 20 juveniles at 3cm u are looking at $200-$500 if u buy from one of us hobbyist breeders. If u buy from a LFS u could be looking at $800 or above!!

The other problem u will have is finding someone willing enough to ship to u. I would recommend taking the risk and paying upfront for the fish and shipping before the seller is comfortable to go ahead. It does take a lot of effort and stress to ship these fish and there is always the risk of DOA! However, shipping to Adelaide should be ok.

Let us know how u go and if u have any other questions.

hth

Dave

Archived