What fish do you keep with your betta?

antz

hi all

just wondering wat people keep as tankmates with their betta buddy? wat expiences also have they had with other fish.. conflict or clashes or friendly fun?

wat plants and also wat tank size?

thanks

antz

Bettas do best in tanks on there own from my experiance ...

Definantly NO barbs of any sort, no fin nippers and no africans ...

Perhaps a few BN, a few clownloaches and a few neons tetras would be nice if you had a spare 4ft tank ...

I havn't had any succes keeping male fighters happy in anything smaller then a 2ft .. they seem to wither away in anything smaller ... :confused:

• 3 weeks later...

I had a betta in with Angels, rams in a 3ft planted display.

He was a blood red colour and looked awesome with the red contrast to the green plants.

I have found they really are not aggressive at all to other fish, only to each other. (others may have had other experiences?)

I havn't had any succes keeping male fighters happy in anything smaller then a 2ft .. they seem to wither away in anything smaller

I kind of agree with this statement, My betta was literally... pretty huge compared to the ones in the shops... And he was so active! Always swimming around and something to do. Keeping them in a jar or small tank doesn't do them any justice.

I'd recommend a better for a planted tank :) But that's just been my experience.

• 2 months later...

Avoid Fin Nippers (eg barbs) and Large-Fin fish (eg guppies), they go well with any plant more plants the better, keep the surface agitation to minimum.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I was in a pet shop the other day that had a betta in every tank. One with goldfish, one with guppies, one with tetras, one with every sort of fish they had. I purchased the one that was with the guppies, only because he is black and I have never seen a black betta, and the poor fellow has hardly any top fin from the guppies nipping him. I've got him alone now, in a planted 18inch tank, but he'll be moving into the 2 foot tank soon.

Edit- I just realised this is an old thread..oh well :8

If you like the precedent set by shops, you can buy a little 4cm x 4cm x 4cm cube. :thumbup:

Anywayz, with tank mates you have to be careful because bettas are normally slow eaters. You have to feed the tankmates first, and then add your beta food to avoid it getting gobbled up.

• 1 month later...

If you like the precedent set by shops, you can buy a little 4cm x 4cm x 4cm cube. :thumbup:

Local fish stores only keep them in these jars because they are only there for shorterm. I have been to many which have suggested that this is fine for the fish but many reputatbe stores will recommend a larger tank with a heater and filter for these guys. Being winter and all it's a must to keep them in warm water.

Richard

• 1 year later...

I have kept them with Discus, Cory's & Royal Whiptails no problems in 2.5-6fters. Bigger the tank 3ft+, Ive learnt too seperate plants in different sections of the tank as Male Betta's don't stray to far, & generally wait for females to come to them.

Plants - Anubius(on driftwood), Val(gravel) & Crysts(potted), Moss is great also.

Discus, best in groups (4-6+) or a pair - only hassel each other when new, otherwise when order is restored for authority of hirachy they are great.

Cory's, best in groups(4-6+) - can give a little gitter if in smaller groups as swimming profusely.

Royal Whiptails, best in small groups (1-2+) - don't hassel at all.

I have also kept males(no more then 2) with females in the same tank although don't recommend this unless densely planted, as when the males find each other, they tend too naturely fight(the outcome is known to many). If a m/f are pairing up only then you tend too have prob's with other Betta's.

For newbies I do not recommend trying to keep betta's together, unless you have multiple small tanks for separation if worse comes too.

Regards

Symphy ;)

Archived