Dimi Comp Male

catcher

Well, most of what you read say's that "Malawi eye biter" is a slang name and it's doesn't reflect a trait of the fish. I have a colony of one large male and four girls, all mostly full size. Tonight I witnessed the male attack one of the smaller girls and what did he go for? Her eyes, both sides, I've never seen this before and he did a bloody good job of it, she's a mess. The attack lasted about 30 seconds but it did the damage.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour first hand?

cheers

glenn

Yeah mate I have witnessed a large adult male do the same to some blues and yellows in a display tank at a lfs.....was kind of shocking to watch, though the staff didnt seem to give a toss :angry::confused:

Have not seen one do it to a potential partner though, maybe she was playing too hard to get, or could it be a sub. male?

Hope your little one heals fine anyway,

Cheers,

Brett

Howdy, I just bought a pair yesterday - the female has a chunk taken from her nose - apparently from the male. The LFS told me it was because they were in a small tank - so far the pair is in my quarratine tank and no sign of aggression and they look really cool :)

I plan to put them in my frontosa tank which is 3 foot high by 4.6 foot long - with the idea that the fronties stay mainly at the bottom and the D. comps will stay mainly at the top of the tank. I did read somewhere that these fish are mainly aggressive (mildly) to conspecifics and leave the rest (larger than themselves) alone thus a good community fish..... wait and see I suppose <_<

Any info reagrding the compatability with frontosas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sean

P.S. I haven't been able to get these guys to eat yet, even though I have only had them overnight - do yours eat pellets. Have tried this pair on pellets and beef heart cichlid dinner

Yeah, a combination of sinking pellets, vegi flake, and algae disc's. They do keep to themselves generally but do have a mean streak if they get aggitated. They will chase anything at any size.

cheers

Glenn

Archived