filtration question

noyd

Could too much filtration annoy a fish so much that they stress? I'm talking about a 1200lph canister and a AC300 running on a standard 3', at maximum lph.

Could that stress the fish?

I'm only running the canister on there to have it ready & cycled for another tank.

Cheers tongue.gif

As well as the fish species (as pointed out already) it depends on the how the water flow is managed. I have run a 1500LPH canister in a 3ft tank with community fish. I built up some custom plumbing and made a spray bar to arrange the flow diagonally. This left some quieter areas in the corners yet had quite a lot of current in other areas. Some fish just sat in the current swimming non stop, others hung on the edges swimming, others in the quiet bits. Suffice to say the tank stable even though it was overstocked. The fishies seemed happy. The spray bar can be seen in this shot:

spraybar

By drillng the holes at an angle I directed the water across the tank (towards the other corner).

G'day Noyd

What I would do is take the spray bar off, then put the "out-take" and "in-take" pipes near to each other. biggrin.gif

This will minimise the additional current and allow you to cycle the cannister filter.

Archived