Ok whats wrong with my fish :(

Ant

My e-blue has developed an ulcer (will probably be fatal) behaind her ventral on one side. It was like a lump or a pimple, i read another post about a similar condition but they had multipe lumps.

Anthony smile.gif

Anthony

you could add some salt to the water 1tsp per 10 litres or there is some other stuff i cant think of the name but it smells like teatree oil its a good antiseptic and safe to use

Guest big bad burundi

When i was starting out with fish i had no internet,i read these strange things we called books. huh.gif

Reading these things i found much information about all my questions and then some. rolleyes.gif

Much info given via fish forums world wide is of little help,if they dont know all there is needed to know to answer question correctly.

Sure with an ulcer melafix may work ,but how or why did they ulcer develope in first place should be your priority in my mind.This way it wont happen again as apposed to hit or miss medicating a problem fish or tank. blink.gif

Just food for thought unsure.gif

and simply only my opinion also dry.gif

those things you call books are not affordable by a poor uni student tongue.gif Now we do have the internet, infact it was the internet that sparked my intrest tongue.gif, i have learnt everything i know over the internet by asking question to more experienced fish keepers like your self smile.gif. This is the way (I!!) work, it definately saves my fish from dieing buy avoiding problems that others have experienced. This is simply the way i work, others like yourself have a different way of aquiring information. I am thankfull for any information others pass on to me,especially your self Daryll as you helped me out when i first started. (no im not sucking up, im stating a fact)and i'm happy also to pass on information as it (cichlid keeping) is a legasy that I, you, and others value.

I should have mentioned that this fish was a new occupant to the tank she is also one of the smaller fish in the tank so i think that it could have been pure stress that triggered her illness. The water conditions are perfect so it could not be that. I however did not mention this (the cause) as i already know what possably triggered her illness.

Feel free to question my opinion but it stands as is smile.gif

Anthony cool.gif

Thanks Mark biggrin.gif , daz tell me, where is a library that stocks books with information that I can get from a forum??? (not a dig at ya, it's a serious question) anyways i don't think you got my point, ill do things my way, you do them yours, not that your way is wrong, but its not my way wink.gif. Another serious question, would you have used the internet if it was around when you started??

Anthony cool.gif

Hi Ant,

Is this ulcer on her right hand side by any chance? Around the gut area???? unsure.gif

If so, she may still come good if you can isolate her and dose her with Melafix and rock salt as already suggested. What I am talking about is thought to be a gram negative bacteria and a fish is salvageable even if it looks like a gonner wink.gif

it sure is on her right hand side, not that fish have hands of course, so perhaps on her right fin side...lol. thanks Anita she is still alive so ill catch her today and dose her with melifix (if i can find some).

even if u can';t afford melafix now, I would still seperate her and add the recommended dose of sea salt.

This is really useful in cleaning the wound and preventing it spreading further.

Unfortunately she died today, her little frind is also pretty crook now. I just bit the bullet and got some melifix. I dosed the whole tank once and i plan on separating her tommorow and treating her separately. When i separate her is it just the normal dose of melifix?

AAnt - WRT the cause of your problem - it is very difficult to say without seeing any pictures. However here is a little bit of knowledge for you.

Lumps that turn into ulcers can be caused by a number of things. Here are some points for you to consider.

Lumps can be caused by:

- swelling in response to something that should not be there - eg parasites, or splinters

- swelling in response to a bacterial infection

- swelling in response to a fungal infection

- cancer

- other non cancerous tumours

- some viruses

- other things?

Lumps can be filled with fluid, or they may be extra tissue growths or may be cuased by the presence of the parasites/forreign bodies themselves.

Ulcers are a bit easier to understand, as they are usually caused by

Fungi infections, and/or

bacterial infections of the skin.

If i had to guess i would say it was either a parasite, a bacterial infection or a fungal infection, (or a combination of these factors). In this case it looks like the lump popped and the region around it became infected by other organisms that were in your tank. Sorry to hear about your fishy dying. Without looking at it under the microscope it is going to be pretty hard to diagnose the problem on the informtation you have given us.

Further reading?

This may be interesting Its a report that concerns a kind of bacteria that is known to cause lumps which burst and then become ulcers. I have not heard of this bacteria being a problem in your species fo fish but it is a big problem in trout, salmon, carp and goldfish.

Please note that its possible that a number of species of bacteria could have caused this kind of problem.

Best of luck with it all - melafix is a good product for treating ulcers.

WW

PS: If you want to avoid getting into flame wars with people - just dont respond to them. blush.gif

Thanks that was a very comprehensive post.

Anthony cool.gif

I dont mind getting into arguements, i like to get my point across, i feel i should say what i think rather than say nothing, and if that causes an arguement so be it. I dont take anything serious that occurs over the net, if it occured in person then i will take it seriously. After all some people tend to have a duel (net/reality) personality, if i dont know a person in reality I cant judge there personality by what I see over the net, even if there are a real prick over the net (not targeting anyone)

cool.gif

Archived