net to strain brine shrimp

Mbuna

You need to find some material that has a hole size of 100um (0.1mm) to strain your artemia onto. I get the material from work so don't have a problem. I guess you might be able to buy one ready made from a good pet shop. I'm sorry this doesn't help as I can't specify a cheap readily available material.

Adam

Coffee filters anyone?

even organza is OK.

(i think hagen make brine shrimp nets, but i would imagine they strain less than coffee filters.)

Calla, have you had that much luck with coffee filters? I always found that the nauplii (Adam will approve of that) drip out the bottom with the water. I have to fold the bag and use tape. V annoying! Maybe it doesn't happen with other brands? I have only used Harris unbleached bags. Or is there a secret technique?

I dismantle mine and fold it in half, then in half again, then you grab 3 sides and collapse them into 1, just like you used to do in science class in high school.

to be totally honest, even that way you dont catch them all. I swaer they suck their bellies in and slip thru just to spite us! But you certainly get more than using it as an actual filter.

Someone also mentioned using kitchen towels as strainers. apparently they get a higher success rate with that than with coffee filters.

Nauplii are cunning little devils!

I strain mine through a mans hankie and strain into a glass jar. Whatever doesn't get caught ends up in the jar and then back into the hatcher till the next harvest. Works a treat for me and then I just use a teaspoon to feed to the fry. The hankie gets rinsed in a tank to remove the excess that may get caught in between the fibres and then I hang it up in the fishroom for the next use. biggrin.gif

I am still using a "Tetra" brand artimia sieve that was part of a set of "Live Food" sieves I bought in the late sixties. Was the finest of a nest of four graduated strainers and is still going. Must have cought countless millions of BBS by now.

Some years ago Franklins used to sell a nylon cloth coffee filter with a welded plastic rim. @ about 60 cents each these were magic!!! I still have a couple I use for vinegar eels, but they have been mended with nail polish so many times wink.gif I have tried everywhere I know since but have never found another source of these reusable nylon coffee filters.

If anyone comes across these little gems, grab all you can, bugger the coffee drinkers we need them.

Alan

I am sure these sieve set are still manufactured, they were so sucessful. They were not cheap when I got my set, but I was collecting a lot of "wild" live food at the time for Killi fish so the expense was woth it. I think I had to order throught the Australian "tetra" agent.

May be we should collectively put a little pressure on the Australian agent, or our LFS to get these in again. They last a life time if looked after

Alan

That would be brilliant Alan...

I tried to reculture my VE last night. It was AWFUL!

the room smelt like a salad had come though and forgotten to wipe its feet!

AND the silly eels slipped straight through the coffee filter paper, no matter what i did!

i ended up just making 2 new cultures and turfing half the stuff down the sink!

Actually, if anyone has a foolproof way of harvesting these simply, i'd love to hear it.

Looks like i might be stuck using MW *sigh*

(HELLO ebe/Lily! Great to see you around smile.gif )

Callatya

I have a fool proof way of harvesting artemia, rotifers, slippery eels, anything.... but it is going to be expensive... Still, you can make up your own mind.

But first a story:

Working in an oyster hatchery down in Tasamania for a few weeks during uni holidays, it was one of my jobs to make up some screens used to collect baby oysters (they are planktonic) and rotifers (smaller than baby brine shrimp). What we used was this very fine, very expensive mesh material, that we suspended over a "ring" of PVC pipe. Then we glued a slightly larger ring of PVC pipe over the bits of mesh on the side of the original PVC piece to keep it stuck in place. Think of a drum, with the drum skin being the mesh. Water would run through the mesh, but the plankton would remain behind. It could then be easily washed out using a cheap and freely available squirt bottle.

(sorry a diagram may have helped in this explanation)

The screen material is available through a few companies, but its cost is prohibitively high, about $120/meter. It is available in different sizes, ranging from 25 - 500 microns.

Check out page 94 of the catalogue on this website

I think they only sell it by the meter - so you would probably need to share it between some friends if you were interested.

So thats what the pros use - we use to filter about 10,000 liters of culture water using this method on busy days.

All you have to do now is try to figure out something similar, but cheaper, and easy to make. Like a fine nylon stocking suspended over a plastic tube, secured with an elastic band? I dont know if that would work - but it is a start.

Cheers

WW

My unique perspective on nylon stockings (ie I am a girl smile.gif ) tells me that nylon would stretch too much so that the holes would be too big if used in this application. But something like lycra might be good, as would organza as suggested by Callatya.

Thanks Willy.

Im a boy - i dont know all that much about nylons or lycra. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Every now and then i have to go to the supermarket to buy stockings to put activated carbon, shell grit, etc in for fish purposes. I always feel uncomfortable. tongue.gif

WW

Archived