Ageing water

tricky

I currently age my water in a 230 litre drum. I have a sponge filter which draws the water from the bottom and also provides aeration. I also have an additional air stone running and i add water conditioner to the tap water when i fill the drum. The drum is located in my fishroom. I had a conversation/ argument last night about how long i have to use the water in the drum. I was of the opinion the longer i left it there the better. Any opinions on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ricky

I leave mine between 2 and 4 days before using it. I guess anything inside a few weeks and it would be fine.

I doubt water just sitting there bubbling away quietly could or would go "bad". I just don't know why anyone would just have it sitting there, instead of providing the fishies with a nice refreshing water change.... :dntknw:

If it's protected from external contamination (eg a lid on it to stop dust and other airborne nasties, etc) then it should be find for a considerable time.

After all, we drink water from aquifers and the like that may have a very substantial age (think 'bottled springwater') and it really doesn't seem to do harm.

The only potential harm I can think of would be leaching of the material from which your barrel is constructed.

Cheers - OziOscar.

As long as the water is being aerated it should be OK for months. I have left water in 220lt drums for up to 2 months with out any problems. The only problem I found was evaporation the drums where in my fish room and I guess it was the humidity.

i don't have the capacity to allow it to sit around for a week.

i use 200 ltrs every night, and with no room for extra drums, i use a sump pump to aerate it

i have read somewhere, [ :confused: ] that the water should be used within a few hrs of adding the conditioner. can't quite remember why, so i just do it.

i also believe that chloromine will not discipate, that's why the water authorities changed from chlorine,

which will discipate.

it all works for me

cheers;

Chloramine does break down....just takes longer

Brisbane uses chloramine and the followind is an extract from Brisbane water web site

Water for home aquariums

Brisbane Water uses chloramine to disinfect water for drinking purposes. This is toxic to aquatic life.

You need to remove all traces of chloramine when using tap water in your aquarium. You can do this by:

boiling the water for 10 minutes and letting it cool to room temperature, or

ageing and exposing water to sunlight for at least two days, or

buying de-chlorination agents from aquarium shops

Archived