Gloat

Rumpig

Hi, just had to gloat, after 24hours in their new tank my pair of N. nudiceps have spawned!

The female spawned in the upright part of a tree stump. I saw a bit of the diplaying and site cleaning yesterday. Unfortunately the site she has chosen is out of view.

I have had these fish for less than a week, any information people can give me regarding them would be much appreciated!

They are in a 2x18 with an ice cream container filter. The temperature is 26 degrees and the water is rain water.

Did any body else with dwarves get any spawns with the recent storms we've had?

Cheers

Mick

Mick,

Well done. They are very pretty fish and extremely rare. I didnt know they were even in Australia. Would love to see some pics one day. I would be very keen to get juniors off you if you can raise them. cheers, Daniel

Congrats Mick,

Since you are breeding these guys you might want to do a bit of research into pH dependant sex ratios. I understand that the nannos are quite suceptable to this phemonenon. If you can figure out what pH to keep them it may help you when it comes time to sell them (you will have equal males to females or even be able to tweak it to be trios or what ever else you want).

I also think sex is still able to be determined up to about a 3 weeks old if I recall correctly so you still have a bit of time.

good luck,

-Mat-

I actually jumped the gun a bit on this one guys :B

They've dug a pit under the log and are guarding that against the advances of the white clouds :p

At least their new site is a lot more visable than their old one.

I'm feeding them on black worms and brine shrimp to condition them.

Daniel, I'll try and get some photos but it's a bit of a challange as they're a bit skitish and don't like posing for the camera <_< I'm sure I'll get some eventually though.

Mat, thanks for the tip, I'd completely forgotten that pH can effect the sex of fry. I'll see what I can find out.

Cheers

Mick

My Nannochromis transvestitus dug tunnels around my whole tank. They had a great system, could disappear and turn up at the othe end. Awesome fish.

As far as any advice id look on www.apistogramma.com and look for a tjudy. Anyways good luck.

Adam

I had river sand, but I had lots of wood, they just buried along the line of the wood. The tunnels were more gaps under rocks and wood than proper tunnels but it allowed them to go everywhere.

I had 5 but they killed each other til there were 2. Then recently I lost the last two. Shame, but thats life. This is a link (http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=19760&hl=transvestitus) to the a thread that has a picture. I may have some more, but they were super hard to catch. Thye are still my favourite looking fish. One day when I have tme and people like yourself have learnt to breed them I'll set up a nice long tank for them.

Good luck.

Adam

Thanks Adam, Nice looking female in the pic! Shame that you lost them all though.

Mine are really shy but are becoming better, they'll eat when I'm watching the tank and come out and sift through the gravel (wish I'd used river sand)...

The female is getting really fat and her ovipositor dropped further yesterday so I think spawning is only a matter of time *fingers crossed*.

Any suggestions what I could put in with them to eat the algae that won't eat the eggs or fry?

Cheers

Mick

nudiceps, transvestitus... Can I take a guess at the other hobbies of the person who discovered Nannochromis?

:lol2: yes, rather a suggestive name but I think you will find it is because the female is the more colourful fish rather than the usual state where the male is the showy sex. I even think I remember that the females will display to the males and fight other females for him. lucky boy!

-Mat-

:cryblow: Lost my male N.nudiceps yesterday. :cryblow:

Having trouble finding a replacement as Auburn aquariums is only selling them as pairs and STG no longer has them (although they might be getting more in).

Anyone know of anyone else stocking them in Sydney?

Mick

On a better note, my Desert gobies (Chlamydogobius eremius) spawned tonight :lol4:

The eggs have been seen so it's a deffinate! :thumb

Sorry to hear about the male.

I am having the same problem finding one , i lost my male but fortunately they spawned the day before and i have about 50 4 week old fry.

The female is fully conditioned and ready to spawn again so if any one knows where i can find a single male please let me know

Adam

It's strange that these nanochromis are not lasting very long in our tanks. I bought a pair of N. tranvestitus around the same time as Adam, and I noticed the female had 'vanished' from my heavily planted 200 litre tank after about 3 weeks. Then about 2 months later, the male had vanished. (being heavily planted it is not possible to locate each inhabitant all the time ). These are the only two fish I have lost in the past 7 or 8 months, so they must be having problems acclimatising to our water perhaps ??

I had lots of problems with hole in the head and Pelvicachromis. The Nannochromis from memory have very extreme water conditions (ie ph in the region of 4-5). I know my tank wasnt that extreme as i couldnt keep it stable. I would love more than any fish to be keeping and breeding transvestitus.

Adam

Hmmmm well I got my new male today and the female instantly attacked him :p Off to a great start I thought! So I put in a shallow terracotta dish with a hole knocked in the side facing AWAY from the front of the tank in case the male needed refuge.

Soon after he was feeding hungrily and was busily displaying to the female.

When i got home tonight they're both hiding under the dish and there's a pile of gravel at the enterance.... Damn fish!

Cheers

Mick

Archived