Filters

bungholio

Hi i am new to aquariums hoping someone can tell me the pro's and cons of both canister filters and fluidised bed filters, as there is a large price difference between them...huh.gif i am running a 4' x 18" x 18" and will be using an internal filter as a buffer, the tank will have blue acara's and severums, with standard gravel.

Thanks, Regards

Adam

There were recent threads on FBFs... try the search facility. There were some very interesting disclosures from people who use FBF.

Try:here and here.

Generally, a good canister that is appropriately matched to the tank capacity and livestock needs is the best choice. Eheim is strongly recommended by most folk as it's a worthy investment.

There are other choices, but it's best to remind you 'caveat emptor' - some lovely cheapies out there but there are weaknesses in a lot of the super-economy models, including but not limited to (geez - I sound like a lawyer) broken cheap plastic parts like clamps, missing parts when you buy it, poor design and worst of all - leaks!

Check out some of the sponsors - they have alternatives that I am certain would be better than the super-cheap no-name gear that I occasionally bring back from Asia with me as an experiment.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Fluidised beds are very effective filters- huge surface area means very efficient filtration. However we found that they were not suitable for our Tanganyikan tanks - they stripped oxygen out of the water because there's so much aerobic bacteria in there, so we no longer use them. This may not be of any concern for the fish you want to put in the tank. But for fish with high oxygen requirements I wouldn't use a fluidised bed.

We used 2 different brands - an OTTO one which was one of the more expensive ones, and a couple from Age of Aquariums, which were much cheaper. We found no difference between the two, and had no problems with either.

Cheers,

Jess

Archived