Clown pleco

Hoddz

Hey all bought this little bewty today and believe its a L104 Clown pleco.. Been trying to research how to tell sexual difference between male and female ,breeding and looking for any other information.. If anyone out there can steer me in the right direction or can give me some advice please do... Here some pictures of the little bloke/girl...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Jamie :thumbup:

That's not an L104. The L104 is mainly dark coloured with fine brown or light lines and is not nearly as flat. It also often has a finer tailfin extension even on a younger fish.

That fish is much more like one of the L168 variants coming in these days. You can tell by the robust line pattern and the flatter body. The actual line patterns on the head are that of a typical L168.

That said, they are much less shy than the L104 so you will see more often. Also they will change to a lighter white when they are settled on some substrate colours.

Oh, my guess is it's a male based on the odontodes from dorsal fin the caudal peduncle

Odontodes are seen to be on both females and males. It was on another forum, but females have a rounder pelvic fin and males have longer ones probably for fanning eggs. The 'fanning' fin on this one is round like the females I have.

Just as an example, a mature male would have it's pelvic fins extended like this

IPB Image

Sorry to deface your beautiful fish Hoddz :cryblow:

Its cool thank you all for your help i am even more stoked now as for i like the L168 so much more than the clown sorry if i offend thats just My own opinion. its in my tank with the sandy bottom and has changed colour dramatically its a solid white now with dark barring absolutly gorgeous... Does anyone know about breeding these or can send me in the right direction to look at i regards to informatiion on this pleco also the ""my guess is it's a male based on the odontodes from dorsal fin the caudal peduncle"" statement has lost me. dont worry bout defacing as for it has given me some ideas to what i am looking for but what exactly are i looking for :B

:lol4: Thanks Hoddz :thumbup:

odontodes are hard structures found on the outside of the fish (in structure they are kind of like teeth), usually sharp in catfish.

For the other stuff see fish anatomy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_anatomy

There is a diagram that shows the various parts described.

Where the line of odontodes "from dorsal fin the caudal peduncle" is located is left as an exercise for the reader. :)

Most recent : L168/52 are same just different localities...guess you can run with locality ssp.

Also even though they are imported as clowns they are acutally butterflys or butterfly flounder plecs.

The L104 is the clown.....well thats the latest development anyways, chances are with the whole L/LDA etc fiasco it will change again next week :lol4:

Cheers,

Brett

right your L104 is panaque maccus/ clown Pleco

Your L168 is butterfly pleco. (L52 is a different fish all togeather)

It is a different marking then the 168 between that and the 52. one more reticulated then the other.

Get on the Planetcatfish and search. Shane has sorted out these dramas for us

line of odontodes - my goodness - great to see so many real catfish enthusiasts on the Central Coast .

Best regards

:clap:thumbup::thumbup:

There are a few of us lurking :lol4:

I read Shane's updates and have been very impressed, thogh I thought he was saying that due to the locality of capture we had most likely been getting L052's and that 168's and 052's are locality ssp. :confused:

Either way I have half a dozen ordered from various suppliers :thumb

Brett

Archived