Delima

agro77

I have a Fairly big Oscar 30cm and a pink kissing gorami, 3 pairs of convicts (all frquently breeding), a pleco 10cm,

tank is a 4 footer 18 x 18, problem is the Misses went to the local Aquarium and decided that some more fish looked pritty unsure.gifunsure.gif

Now my O has 4 sliver dollars (5cm) 2 silver sharks (12cm) 6 very frightend fan tails. 2 small angles (5cm) and a new Oscar (6cm)

I know the fan tails are just fresh food, the silver dollars are extreamly jumpy (not sure if they will be eaten or not) the silver sharks are doing well, (not for to long I suspect though...) the angles are funny little buggers they are taking on the convict and eating the fry, this worries me the most as the convicts have the Big O's number!!

Now what should I do, I dont want to get rid of the Big O but I am sure he will steadly eat his way through his tank mates. advice sort!!!

<<shaking head>>

Been there mate... unauthorised fish brought in by the gf... ugh.

The good news is that the O just scored a whole heap of live food. smile.gif

The O and the SDs will get on OK. You're going to need some hidey-holes for the sharks and the baby O will get its rump kicked at least. The fantails (goldfish I assume) will probably already be Oscar poo by the time I write this.

In that tank, 1 x 0 and 4 x SD is about it. I hope your filter is really up to the task. biggrin.gif

Grab another tank for the convicts and let them go nuts.

How did they all get on before you received all the additional livestock?

Cheers - OziOscar.

PS - It's great to know the fiance is getting into the hobby, but it's going to be hard work to aid in improving knowledge and making a real fishkeeper. Lots of luck.

hey there Ozi...

The boys and girls have been behaving well up until now, the O has been very well behaved, the convicts seem to have his measure, they are always breeding, and the O is always ready to releave them of there parenting responcibilites. They breed every 3 weeks and over the past year I only have 1 small 1cm baby left. the kissing gorami is tough. He decides when he want to take on the convicts and usally wins.... And the fantails have survived so far. They have been in there for almost 4 days and the O is still just stalking them. Some one Killed the Pleco last night I think he was having a midnight snack on the Convict fry... As for a filter I am running a Ehilm 2213, 2 2000l power heads on a UGF. Plants and all, O doesnt care for the plants the damm convicts keep pulling them up!!!! the sharks are doing suprisingly well!!!

All's well at the moment, and the small O and the large O are best of buddies.

Will post more results next week.

Anthony

I had two silver sharks living with my 2 oscars in my 140l a long time ago. The silver sharks picked up a very nice colour (dark background) and were in great health. However one day i noticed one missing. There wasnt too much deco in the tank and i couldnt find its body. The remaining bala shark did not want to stay in the aquarium (totally changed its behaviour). A few weeks later it also disappeared. The onyl sign of my oscars ever trying to eat one was one of them tilting its head to eat its tail. I can quite confidently say your bala sharks lives are in grave danger smile.gif

Archived