Lithobates,Christmas Hap,Crimson tides.

Hoddz

Heya all i am about to aquire these three species of fish one by choice the other by the fact i have to... I have tried to reasearch them but most of the stuff i read, when i read the next web page on them it contradicts itself so now i have come for professional advice and if any one could steer me in the right direction or tell me some pointers please do.... Just in regards to size, breeding, sexing males and females...

1. Sulpher Crested Lithobates - OTOPHARYNX LITHOBATES.

IPB Image

2.XYSTICHROMIS PHYTOPHAGUS - Christmas Fulu.

IPB Image

3. Astatotilapia latifasciata - Crimson Tide. (i have three of these atm and one has a mouthful and just has barring the others have no colour and have read some places that not all males colour up is this true?)

IPB Image

Any information will be very much appreciated thank you...

Jamie :thumbup:

I've kept all 3 species. From my personal experience the adult sizes are:

lithobates - 15cm

brownae - 12cm

latifasciata - 12cm

Sexing is the same for all 3. Males are coloured, females are not. They all vent sex easily once 6cm.

Breeding is the same as well. Provide sufficient cover for holding females and separate territories for males. They will breed in large caves, on top of rocks or on the open substrate. Keep 3 females to each male ideally.

Oh, and keep them for the joy of keeping them. Don't expect to sell the fry for a whole lot. Although in saying that, in a year they may be hard to find, the way these cycles go :lol2:

Be careful with the crimson tides & Xmas Fulu's in the same tank. They may cross breed... the males will for sure fight with each other. I went through a Victorian stage, & I used to keep my victorians in seperate tanks. I did try a colony of Crimsons & Fulus in a 6 footer, didn't work out. :(

Yes some of the males aren't as nice as others, there are still nice ones around. So maybe shop around for another male, or give the one you have a little more time to colour up.

As above with breeding & care.

Frenchy :)

Thank you very much for the info guys, much appreciated well the Crimson that i had holding was only 4 cm and she had 7 fry in her mouth how she fit em in there now they are all looking the same in the tank mybe all females. 2 of them are 5 cm and the one who was holding is 4 cm as stated before. maybe i have threee females?? i dont know.. I will try to vent and see what i come up with..

Also the Fulu's will be in my 4fter and the crimsons in my 6fter..

Thanks again..

Archived