Acid Water

Tunnel Rat

Hi people

Well my ph is drooping down to 4.5 at times way to low as I wish to keep it at about 7.0-7.2.

I do know why this is it's the wood & heavy food load fresh prawns next day Hikari carnivore pellets next day fresh bream fillets next day H/C pellets then start again with no food every Monday.

My w/c is 40% every week I have no substrate so not much dirt stays in the tank after a w/c.

Nitrite & Ammonia are fine its a 2'x2'x2' 200L with 2x2217 1x mechanical 1x bio (full of maxtrix)

I use to put a bag of shell grit in my can which is what I was going to do this time around but was told crushed marble was a better chose is this right & why ?

What do you all think I should add ?

1.Shell grit

2.Crushed marble

3.Coral sand

Is there a better or new way of doing this as I am old school and finding new ways of doing stuff every day :B

I do not won't the water hard but with weekly w/c I do not think this will be a problem.

any help would be great.

thx

Rat

Is your tank recently just cycled? i suggest you do a water change (cafefully) with aged water. Add some coral rocks.

I think your water KH is a little too soft hence PH fluctuates rapidly.

www.thekrib.com <- loads of good information to read and it explains what i said much better and in more detail mate.

Tam

Shell grit for me. Drop it into your filter in some tied off nylons. Cheap as. Its the bicarbonate levels you want to increase to buffer your pH. Another option is that you can add a tea spoon of sodium bicarbonate to your tank (per 10 litres) when you do water changes.

Cheers

WW

Is your tank recently just cycled? i suggest you do a water change (cafefully) with aged water. Add some coral rocks.

I think your water KH is a little too soft hence PH fluctuates rapidly.

www.thekrib.com <- loads of good information to read and it explains what i said much better and in more detail mate.

Tam

You are right on the money there Tam :clap New cycled tank weekly water changes = soft water.

Have done two small water changes which got the ph up to 7.0 just added coal sand to one of my cans will keep a close eye on things for next few week's.Thats a great site :thumb ps all my water is aged for one week(220L) air-rated and prime added before I use it

Shell grit for me. Drop it into your filter in some tied off nylons. Cheap as. Its the bicarbonate levels you want to increase to buffer your pH. Another option is that you can add a tea spoon of sodium bicarbonate to your tank (per 10 litres) when you do water changes.

Cheers

WW

thx Willy will see how this C/sand goes.

Edited to remove link

Please review this ACE RULES thread

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=22191

Cheers

WW

What was the link :confused:

thx for all the help guys

Rat

Archived