Festea fry

Neil

The female was beaten up last night and the 20 odd fry are still in the tank with the male .

Do the males turn on the fry when left alone with them ?

This is his second female .

They are priceless to watch with the parents picking up and spitting the wayward fry back into the group great parenting but Ive always wondered about the male he is always darting around but havn't seen him take any fry just spitt food and sand into the group.

There might be a female left in my pond but I havn't sighted her for months.

Neil

Yep, sure did Burgoid, the pair were together nearly 2 years too - spawned 3 times together and never had any issues. Seemed like the perfect couple. :hug:

Then 2 weeks ago, on the Saturday, i came home from work, went into the fishroom only to be greeted with a 6' tank awash with scales and my gorgeous female hovering in the corner - belted beyond recognition.

I hooked her out into the 10 footer added 1/2 dozen air stones to try and help her - she got through the night, but next morning was floating upside down and couldn't remain bouyant, so I assume her swim bladder had been damaged.

The next step nearly broke my heart :cryblow: - I put her in a plastic bag and introduced her to the slate tiled floor at about 90mph. I felt that this was a case of "You gotta be cruel to be kind" as I did not want her suffering any longer and with the swim bladder damage I felt there was little hope of her recovering.

I just couldn't believe it - I have heard the stories of these guys doing this - but I thought maybe I am just so lucky that I have the perfect pair. Why these guys just turn on each other this way is beyond me. :dntknw:

Anyway I have some very good photos of her, for memories, just wish I could put her photo in this thread, but I don't know how to do it :confused: - my son puts up my photos for me normally, but he is overseas at the moment. Could anyone help.......please.

I do have about a dozen fry left from their last spawn - with any luck I may be able to raise them and keep her excellent bloodline going - just hope there is at least one female amongst them.

RIP........Mrs Festae. :yes:

:cryblow::cryblow::cryblow:

Im so sorry for your loss mate, they were a great pair as you said, Its such a same that somthing like this happened.

If you want to email me your pics I could definatley post them up for you. :yes:

Sorry once agian mate, I see this as a real loss to the rest of us american keepers as well as both were quite stunning as we know how hard it is to find fish of such high quality here. I really hope you are able to grow some quality fish from the fry so the rest of us can enjoy them at a later date.

:hug:

-Dave Oziwi2ATbigpond.com

to stop spam - some spammers search message boards for addresses that aren't hidden. As it's automatic they can't pick it up if you put an AT instead of the @

WAZ,

that is a real shame. Your girl was absolutely beautiful. Your girl was the one that inspired myself to get some. (i am growing 3 females for my 1 male,but i dont believe that they are any where near the quality of yours! Even though i have sourced 4 different bloodlines)

If you have any fry for sale, i will make you proud! I swear!!!!

Please let me know?

Thanks

Jaymes

• 1 year later...

open a account with photobucket ,from that account go to browse that will take you to your computer, pick witch photo you would like to post then press uplode,that puts your photo into your photobucket account, then above your photo you will see edit press that, your photo will come up again this time press resize then press wiebsite,email then to your right you will see view album press that find the photo you would like to post, under it you will see IMG CODE click on that then copy and past right here--------------------------then press add reply hope this helps.

Archived