Stunted or dwarf fish

Guest Gutty

Is it possible to get dwarf fish or for them to be permanently stunted ??

I have an electric yellow that i bought last september/october at about 2.5cm and is still about the same size yet the 3 other yellows i bought on the same day from the same tank are now about 6-7cm. They are in a 6fter, they all get the same food, the little fella does eat his fare share, but if he doesn't get growing soon i think he's gonna become main course for one of his tank mates. sad.gif

Basicly everything else in the tank is going great. This little fella just won't grow.

All fish in my display tank are fed a mixture of New life Spectrum, Tetra colour bits and OSI cichlid flake. One day a week they'll get fresh or frozen shrimp/worms.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Matt

He can be seen here in the sights of my Dimi comp. ohmy.gif

user posted image

Hi Matt,

I too have had the odd fish that never seemed to reach full potential.

However most fish with adequate space, water changes and good food will play catch up smile.gif .

I have even had an increase in growth in a pleco, then over ten years old, placed in a 6x2x2 after quite a few years in a standard 4'.

My guess is that with the larger fish your little yellow is not getting enough to eat if there is not a physiological cause for the lack of growth.

Cheers

Cheers Fiona and Aline. It gets plenty of food, thats not the problem. There were/are plenty of other fish his size in the same tank(it's a farely new setup) but one by one they all have or are outgrowing him.

Anyway, if there is nothing i can do about it, there's no point worrying is there !? Maybe i'll put him in my 4fter with my next batch of fry and see if anything happens. He'd by far be the biggest fish in the tank then.........

Thanks

Matt

Archived