New Tank

Cheekie1

no need to clean it ... its new right ?

you need to set up the tank - heater , gravel, filtration , air stone and fill it with water and let the whole system run for about 1 month... with cheap fish...

this process is called Cycling the tank...

In the meantime.... you adjust the water parameters to suit the type of fish you are keeping... eg Ph, temp, Gh, Kh, salinity... etc

Get some water testers esp ammonia and nitrite

Im no experty though smile.gif

I just purchased a new tank and I was wondering what I should do before I put fishing into it. I mean in the line of cleaning the inside of the tank etc.

What sort of tank do you intend to set up (bare tank, lightly planted or planted), and what sort of fish?

Certainly you should give the inside a rinse, but depending on what you want to keep, it deviates quite a bit from there.

I will be keeps some bristlenose fry and some krib fry in it. Would I also be putting in some plants also.

Then plant it first, ideally with a fertilised substrate, leave 1-2 weeks to establish, then bring over filter floss that has been running in a cycled tank in the new filter, and you're done, no need to do a normal cycle if you have sufficient plants.

Fom other posts, your BN fry needs gut bacteria, so don't move them too soon, or the advise from people who have raised BN fry is to have snails in the tank (personnally I'm against snails, but that's just me).

personally i would fill the tank for a couple of days just to be sure that there are no leaks!!, its kinda disheartning to get a tank all pretty with plants and stuff only to find that it all has to be cleaned out and fixed!

Yeah id go with making sure that there are no cracks, You wouldnt believe the amount of "NEW" tanks that have hairline fractures in them! Its not always the manufacturers fault though, one of the other lfs in my area are crazy drivers when they deliver the tanks! I think they lost 2 6 footers and a 4*2*2 from the idiot driver, so be careful!

Then do which ever cycling process you choose etc.....

Also you really should have all the testers, When i started in the hobby i didnt and i overcrowded the tank and nearly lost the whole lot of fish, 40+ as i didnt know about ammonium and nitrites and nitrates etc....

but this is only MHO

CHEERS DANIEL

Archived