L168? L052?

chrisso81

Nice fish :thumbup:

I have been banging my head over the whole L168/160/052/104 "group", throw in clown pleco, butterfly pleco, butterfly flounder pleco........I think it depends on what area they are collected from.

But yeah yours looks like a "typical" L168 and a nice one at that.

Brett.

YALO5T i seen u are a bit confused!

Right lets get thigs cleared up hopefully 4 you.

L168 L52 and L104 are all totaly different breads.

L168 and L52 are closely related and are very simalar. I have not got these but have been following other site and finding that the real difference is that they are evolutional changes due to comeing from different areas in the wild and never mixing the populations.

L104 is a different fish all togeather and has different needs. It is a panaqulos (Mini Panaque) and is there fore a wood eater.

Here is a L104

IPB Image

Hey nivola, do you find the L104 very shy compared to the L168? I hardly see mine in my planted tank yet the L168 are always out the front, on the subtrate where I can see them or cleaning the window (even more window cleaning than the Bristlenose). The L104 likes the holey wood and tends to simply work his way around it. I only see him when he is at the front of it.

do you find the L104 very shy compared to the L168?

Mine used to be really showy but I think they have been taking lessons from the peppermints they are in with so now I rarely see them :confused::( .

But yeah, IME they are substantially more shy than 168s.

Or perhaps yours is more to do with food? You say that the 104 hangs around the wood, well isnt that what he is eating, also you say that the 168s are cleaning the glass of algae, isnt that what they eat? :dntknw: maybe its as simple as that.

-Mat-

The image above was when i went hunting trying to figure out females to male ratio. I had to destry/rebuild the tank. These guys will hide all day because they are nocturnal. If there is a small amount of light they will run and hide. There are also very very sensitive to sound and movement.

Mine are getting better on the sound side. My tank is in my room so they are used to tv and music and the loud movie every now and then!

I have been known to stress for a week because i can only find 4 L104s and not five. They will hide so well they you will say damn im done one guy! But thats life!

How do you find keeping you L168s? not seen one in WA that i have been happy with! all seem rather sick by the time there here. The L104 cause me so much strife because of this fact. Im very very lucky to have any of them and for that matter anything in my 4 foot tank.

Thanks Nivola,

so using your method I have searched a few other massive forums and found that

L168/L52 (052) are similar and often sold here as clowns but are really butterflys

L104 is the real clown.

From PCF : Flounder Pleco, Butterfly Pleco, L052, similar to D. brachyura but in L052 the stripes are more less clearly seperated and form a network pattern in adults

At least thats as much as I can get ATM :roll

Cheers,

Brett

Oh yeah there was a SPECTACULAR L168 at a lfs here and I missed on getting her by less than a day :B:(

Oh well.

glad i could help you out YAlO5T.

Well i just had major disaster.

Snails yes snails eating my baby L104s..... In a week the loach snail killing crew will move in to finish them off! This is something i thought would never happern. Seen it with my own eyes and it has gutted me!

• 3 weeks later...

Snails yes snails eating my baby L104s..... In a week the loach snail killing crew will move in to finish them off! This is something i thought would never happern. Seen it with my own eyes and it has gutted me!

Oh crap mate, sorry to hear that talk about ripped off. I have a snal crew going too......little paki loaches just have to dodge the aro :roll

Cant wait until that tank is snail free, hope your 104's get going again.

Cheers,

Brett.

Lucky ne just got a second spawn!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY almost all snails have gone. Got a new light so that i will get some alge growth

Oh crap mate, sorry to hear that talk about ripped off. I have a snal crew going too......little paki loaches just have to dodge the aro :roll

Cant wait until that tank is snail free, hope your 104's get going again.

Cheers,

Brett.

Archived