Sick salmon tail cat

gizmo42au

Hey fellas, have had a lot of help on here with my cichlids. Now its time for my catty.

Its got a cloudy eye, and i was going to treat it with uniodised table salt. But some guy at the pet store said that the anticaking agent affects the fish adversely. Is this true?

Also how much salt can i add to a 3x2x2 tank to treat the problem

1 x barramundi

5 x silver dollars

1 x black ghost knife

1 x purple spotted gudgeon

3 x bristlenose

1 x gold pleco

Thanks fellas.

Hi gizmo42au

It sound your catty's got 'pop eye' Exophthalmia sad.gif . Common cause is bacterial infection , this infection may been caused by proceding diseases or ailment. Also poor handing, nutrition too much light, tumors.BUt stress from overcrowding and poor water Quality is a the major cause. Check your water quality Ammonia and PHI. Ensure water quality is good and ensure that no other fish is stressing it out, if so separate the poor catty to a hospital tank to recover better. No need for salt. Hope your Catty gets better. smile.gif

Thanks fellas, no other fish are stressing and everyone is eating fine. I can move him to a 3' tank as soon as a buy a heater.

I do 20% a week water changes on the tank and i didnt think i had overcrowded it, but have i?

yeh you have some bigger fish in there, and your tank isnt all that big, If i was you Id do a minumum 50% water change weekly. Thats your minimum. Every now and then, you should do a bigger water change, maybe 75% or as much water you can take out with the fish still in there.

20% is a very small amount, for any size tank or stocking level, its always better to change a little more than less, your fish are much more likely to get disease if the water changes are too small, as every week a larger amount of waste remains, which builds up slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, but you still have to be careful. I generally go for around 25-30% water change a week. I don't like going anymore than that as I'm not using aged water, and there can be plenty of nasties in what comes out of the tap. Really, if you have a good filter with good media, that sort of water change shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I currently have a CF-1200 cannister and a 1000 L/h internal filter running on the tank. The cannister has been running for about 8 months.

Thanks for the help fellas, i did a couple of large water changes and it is starting to clear up. Fingers crossed it keeps getting better.

Matt

Is the media in the CF1200 the original media? The reason I ask is I have a CF 2400 running on my 6x2x2. Now, as a filter, its fantastic, but the media that came with it was crap. I had to turn around and spend about another $200 on a better quality media. Now it runs a dream. Before I did the replacement, I was having all sorts of nitrate and nitite problems.

Its the original noodles, but i have replaced the sponge and changed the small sponge for matrix.

My LFS has jut reopened so i am taking my water down tomorrow to get tested, but i dont think they will find anything wrong.

Archived