New Fish

axl88

Hey All

I am interested in getting some new fish in the next few months. I have been keeping 6 Electric Yellow's (4m/2f), 6 Maingano's (all male i think... havent bred yet) and a pair of Bristlenose Catfish in my 5x2x2 for a year and a half. I recently (1st time) stripped one of the electric yellows and now have 12 fry smile.gif . It has made me want to get into breeding.

However... I am interested in keeping and breeding somthing a little bigger then what I currently have. Also... something that could make me some money would be nice (Im a 1st year, fresh outta high school, Uni student).

Heres some constraints:

- Relatively easy to keep (on a par with what I have)

- Length no greater then 30cms

- Preferably larger then what I have... but not that worried

- Africans

- Somthing I can make some $ off... probably not a very common fish?

Heres the tank if anyone's interested: http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=26184

Any ideas/info would me much appreciated?

Alex

"- Somthing I can make some $ off... probably not a very common fish?"

Does it ever end?

If you want to get something that is a little more expensive, i say FULL STEAM AHEAD!

but please don't buy a species of fish and hope to make money off them. You will be able to trade the fry for stock and other fish. but as many hobbyists before us have said: This is not a money making hobby!

I mean no offence and i hope you dont take this the wrong way.

Cheers

Boyd

Hi Alex, there are not too many fish around that you can breed AND consistantly sell off the fry but Yellows are a general exception especially if you get excellent quality stock. But I agree with Boyd, if you are after the bucks then there are better ways to get it. Even working, as much as everyone hates it is more reliable than breeding fish for profit. I was told many years ago that this is one of the few hobbies than can pay for itself and most times thats all it does (pays the electricty,bit of food etc) but if you should try, good luck smile.gif

Chuck smile.gif

Get some sexy Copadochromis or Spilonotus, nice big fish and good looking too!

I am currently keeping yellows, taiwan reefs, maingano and elongatus 'mpanga' together, the contrast in colours looks great and they get along surprisingly well in the 6X18X18.

Forget making money, just aim on breaking even, anything above that is a bonus

Placidochromis phenochilus "Tanzania". wub.gif .

IMO one of the most stunning fish in the lake. Gets to a decent size and should be able to hold its own against your devil maingano. You shouldn't have too much trouble moving fry either.

Bretto.

Thanks for the info all. Just to clarify, as I think some people may have gotten the wrong impression... I am not attempting to make a fortune from breeding fish. I do, however, think that if I could make anything (even just to help with the maintenence costs)... it would be better then nothing.

Placidochromis sp. "Phenochilus Tanzania"...WOW! I love the look these.

Again, thanks for the info everyone. Im off for some research now.

Alex

I sold all of the maingano and both of the female electric yellows and got 5 Placidochromis phenochilus "Tanzania" @ around 6cms :) . Im not sure how accurately you can sex them at this size, but 3 of them have a very minor blue tinge and the other 2 are much darker (2m/3f maybe).

One of the suspected males, who’s colour and stripes are less defined then the other, has odd markings. Two of the bars bend inwards and create a kind of 'blotched spot' pattern, compared to the perfectly straight and definable bars on the other 4 (I should have noticed in the shop).

Is this an undesirable trait? Especially since I am hoping to breed them.

Alex

Archived