Are These M. johanni

Hoddz

Hey all i would be very appreciative if i could get some help to identify these fish as for i bought them from my LFS shop this week and they are paired up but they just dont look like the pictures if have researched on the net. I am thinking that maybe the male is still a Juvinile and hasnt fully coloured up yet they are 6-7 cm long and tried my best to get some good pictures but they never ever stop.

Thankx Hoddz

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Dont YELL in topic headings

As posted on the other site:

I'd say definitely not johanni.

The girl in the last pic might be, but would need more pics.

They shouldn't really display any vertical barring at all. Melanochromis have the parallel stripes. The johanni do show a very light vertical barring which is how they get the "checkerboard" pattern, but that first fish looks like a pseudotropheus, or a cross.

Here is what they should look like. At 6-8cm, I'd expect close to full colour. They don't grow much bigger than 8cm (I've never seen one bigger than about 10cm). I'll post pics of full coloured and "scared" coloured.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

as others have said. They arent M. johanni or M. interruptus.

Dont buy fish you dont know the species and the location of collection for.

Hi the only reason i said definatly a female was because a guy i work with has these in a colony and the juviniles look exactly the same as the orange one i have. They are breeding with each other and the orange one has a mouthful so dont know what to do i dont have a tank here to separate them with so my only hope is that the fry get eaten which they more than likely will. I will speak to my lfs tomorrow and see if he is willing to take them back cause my Salousi is trying to breed with the orange one also and the last thing i want is a x-breed scandal going on in my tank. Thanks everyone for your help and advice. kinda confused.gif now but a lesson learnt the hard way.

thumb.gif Hoddz

Lot of people and shops are continously referring to Melanochromis interruptus (checkerboard johanni) as Melanochromis johanni. They are related, but not the same fish. Both have yellow females and both are yellow when they are young. The johanni males get black horizontal stripes on a light blue body, while the interruptus get bars and horizontal lines on the light blue body, hence they are calling it checkerboard johanni.

I kept and bred both M. johanni and M. interruptus and they do not look like your fish.

Unfortunately, they are 100% crosses, with one of the zebra like Pseudotropheus species. The LFS should have known it better, although there are hardly any johannis in Australia, the M. interruptus are pretty common

Cheers,

Roland

Definanately not johanni..

IMO fish should not be bought unless you not what speices they are...

I notice alot of fish snobs on this site i must say,

I stopped my wife from entering cat shows because the people were more concerned about the breed than the happiness of owning an animal and the fish world seems the same, what happened to seeing a little fish that deserves a home and looking after it.

Stop the discrimination

I have seen "apparent" johanni like that smile.gif If I understand correctly there are 100's of different variations.

They may or may not be. Though I don't think a 100% answer could be possible sorry.

QUOTE(mcloughlin2 @ Jun 13th 2006 @ 07:41 )

I notice alot of fish snobs on this site i must say,

I stopped my wife from entering cat shows because the people were more concerned about the breed than the happiness of owning an animal and the fish world seems the same, what happened to seeing a little fish that deserves a home and looking after it.

Stop the discrimination

I've only just started post here, and sorry to be rude, but I would have to agree with fordfish on that one.

Fordfish -

You're a little new to this board to be calling people fish snobs in my opinion. Moreover, your analogy with cats is flawed. Domestic house cats (regardless of whether they be siamese, burmese, devon rexes etc) are all the same species. They've just been linebred. If you cross a devon rex with a burmese you get just another cat. Albeit one of mixed "breeds".

In Australia we have VERY limited numbers of fish that can be imported. People breeding hybrids (crosses BETWEEN species rather than within) threaten the hobby as a whole, moreso in Australia than elsewhere.

I suggest some reading:

http://www.malawicichlids.com/mw01013.htm by Drs. Ron Coleman, Michael Oliver and George Reclos. It's worth pointing out that the two first authors are cichlid scientists.

http://cichlidresearch.com/hybrids.html

the other side of the coin (while I personally disagree with much in this article)

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breedi...on_Hybrids.html

Andy Miller's and my own views on hybrids

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/content/?page_id=11

There's also considerable discussion on the forum regarding hybrids (see the Forum FAQ).

There's no good reason to buy or breed hybrid fish. Identifiable, known species, from particular localities, are easily purchased and often for an equal cost.

lol, I'd just like to mention what I agree with is that every creature deserves a loving home and that,

could have been worded better considering it wasn't answering the question at hand, and seeing as there is a discussion elswhere.

blush.gif sorry back to the subject blush.gif

Hi MattR -

It may sound rough, but I agree with the sentiment. People buying "zebras" are unknowningly perpetuating the problem. The fish arent too blame.. but if you do buy some you should let them live out their lives in a display tank.

ACE has a strict, no hybrid, policy. Hybrid cichlids cant be sold here at ACE and we have similar ethical requirements for our sponsors (who've agreed not to carry foods containing hormones, fish that have been injected with dye, or hybrid cichlids).

The fish in question arent M. johanni or interruptus.... as to what they are? I dont know.

I just cant see any harm in the average person owning raising and enjoying a pet of any description just because its not pure bred be it dog cat or fish or whatever. every creature has a right to a happy life it isnt the animals fault its owners were iresponsible.

Surely you guys would rather the 90% of fishkeepers out there who dont look after the fish like you do be able to keep these unpure fish instead preserving the purebreds for people who care about them.

Personaally i dont have any hybrids i know of in any of my tanks and i probably wont bt i think to straight out say no one should buy them is taking the passion a little to far.

as far as my analogy went it was only meant in the sense of people should be enjoying pet ownership for what it is not turning it into a mines better than yours look down ya nose at my pet sort of a deal.

Whats the harm in a kid growing up with a goldfish that isnt pure of blood if it keeps the kid company and amused than thats great.

Ford -

We've been over this ground a number of times, I've directed you to some very good material on the reasons for the ACE stance on these matters. I agree with you that it's not the animals fault as I said in my previous post. I also stated that this isnt about "pure breed" dogs or cats.

Personaally i dont have any hybrids i know of in any of my tanks and i probably wont bt i think to straight out say no one should buy them is taking the passion a little to far.

I dont think people should buy hybrid cichlids, particularly "assorted zebras" and "assorted peacocks" and the like. You're entitled to your opinion, but labelling those people who disagree with you "snobs" is perhaps taking the passion a little to far. This isn't about passion, it's about responsible fishkeeping.

as far as my analogy went it was only meant in the sense of people should be enjoying pet ownership for what it is not turning it into a mines better than yours look down ya nose at my pet sort of a deal.

No one is looking down their nose though? Some one has given some advice ie: "dont purchase fish which you dont know the names of". I think this is most sensible advice. It's certainly not about being eliteist. It's about knowing what animal you are buying - BEFORE you buy it.

I recommend that ANYONE thinking about buying a fish should know what they want before they walk into the aquarium.

come on guys lighten up on him its not his fault or the LFS its the suppliers fault.the LFS ordered them in as m.johanni and when the guy at the LFS he put them in a tank and labelled them as m.johanni.this bloke at the LFS does not know much about the african cichlids that we all love and wouldnt know if they were x bred. i was there when hoddz bought them and we just thought it was a male that just wasnt coloured up yet.

we are discussing what to do with them but at this stage he is going to keep them but not breed them.

ok im going to TRY and catch some leaf tailed geckos

jamie smile.gif

Archived