What are the easiest Cichlid's to keep?

noyd

Zebras.

Plain and simple. The Metriaclima/Maylandia spp. are very hardy, as are Cichlids in general, and as long as you have enough room, pretty close to the right water conditions and enough rocks/caves/shelter they will take care of them selves(they need food too :p ).

Most of the Mbuna are a great, tough, African and there are so many to choose from. A 4x2x2 or 4x2x18" would be perfect for a nice group with lots a rock-work, set up the filtration, don't over feed, 20% water change a fortnite, every 6mths to year you do a big clean...that is if you can stop yourself from getting more tanks and breeding them <_<

Africans or Americans? what size? Apart from Covicts, Americans I have at the moment that are easy to keep are Firemouths, Blue Acara's.... most of the fish at your LFS are pretty easy to keep if you do the research. Most of these have been captive bred for generations so they can take a bit (lucky!).

Like I said just do your homework (or ask on the forum)and most fish are keepable!

:^: Luke

cheers, I'm interested in Frontosa's... but the down size is I only have a 2'... I could probably takecare of 1 small frontosa in there.. but would need a bigger tank as it gets bigger it self.. what do you guys say? would it be happy alone?

NO ...do not keep a Fronty in a 2 foot tank and do not keep something that you like in a tank that is not siuted to the fish.

A 2ft would be good for 1 of the shellies that are available...maybe L.ocellatus or similar. These fish have stacks of Character(capital "C") and siut the tank.

p.s. Tang's are a little harder than Malawi to keep but not that hard that you can't manage if you want too.

HTH

Your joking right?

A frontosa gets to be 2' themselves. Dont be stingy and say "I will get a bigger tank later" Because if you cant afford it now why the hell are you buying a fairly expensive fish like a frontosa now?

I would recommend thomasi's/dwarf jewels/apistogrammas/rams to start off in your 2' (pick one species they wont all fit) and see how you go.

If you find your not that dedicated you have only really invested in some cheap fish anyway. And we wont have to see your futurepost " URGENT!!! Need help: Frontosa not eating/Sick/Dying"

A couple of lists of fish possibly suitable for such a tank. I and some others may not fully agree with these but it gives you a good starting point as far as picking a few fish. Check em out and then ask for opinions on what you're thinking of getting.

10g setup

20g "long"

Hope that helps

Matt

Your joking right?

A frontosa gets to be 2' themselves. Dont be stingy and say "I will get a bigger tank later" Because if you cant afford it now why the hell are you buying a fairly expensive fish like a frontosa now?

I would recommend thomasi's/dwarf jewels/apistogrammas/rams to start off in your 2' (pick one species they wont all fit) and see how you go.

If you find your not that dedicated you have only really invested in some cheap fish anyway. And we wont have to see your futurepost " URGENT!!! Need help: Frontosa not eating/Sick/Dying"

dude, 2', YOUR JOKING RIGHT? of course you are.. it's not.

I'm saying if I get a small 2/3" frontosa.. its not like its suddenly going to grow.. I'm planning on setting up another tank in around 2 months, how much can it possibly grow, half a cm? possibly.

I heard you can keep a pair of frontosas in a 3/4' tank.. so why not a single one in a 2' tank, and as I explained above.. should there by any problems?

It's not an expensive fish, I seen a very large one the other day for $40, I wouldn't be paying much for a very small one.

And we wont have to see your futurepost " URGENT!!! Need help: Frontosa not eating/Sick/Dying" <-- Some people need to learn the hard way I suppose :p

Mate, I am not trying to be a bas#%rd or anything but why don't you just wait until you setup your new tank? Frontosa aren't just going to dissappear so it think it would be in your best interests and the fish's to wait until you have a sufficient sized tank. You may buy the fish and then come into financial difficulty and not be able to set a tank up for the fish as soon as you wanted.

It's not an expensive fish, I seen a very large one the other day for $40, I wouldn't be paying much for a very small one.

and I'm not too sure what you are implying but it shouldn't be just beacause the fish isn't expensive that it wouldn't be that great of a loss if something happened to it when you could wait and get a bigger tank and have less chance of this happening.

I am not targeting you just something to think about, but ultimately it's up to you.

Mate, I am not trying to be a bas#%rd or anything but why don't you just wait until you setup your new tank? Frontosa aren't just going to dissappear so it think it would be in your best interests and the fish's to wait until you have a sufficient sized tank. You may buy the fish and then come into financial difficulty and not be able to set a tank up for the fish as soon as you wanted.

and I'm not too sure what you are implying but it shouldn't be just beacause the fish isn't expensive that it wouldn't be that great of a loss if something happened to it when you could wait and get a bigger tank and have less chance of this happening.

I am not targeting you just something to think about, but ultimately it's up to you.

whats going to happen to it now, in 2 months, that won't happen when or if I had a bigger tank?

if I can't afford the tank in 2 months, then I would simply get rid of it, end of story, if I wassn't sure I was getting a bigger tank then I wouldn't get a frontosa.

Archived