Dupla CO2 set Omega

mr troph

raisehand.gif G'day

Just wondering if anyone has used this product is it the anwser to cheap CO2 without a DIY system.

I used it and it is an absolute turkey. It is the only thing I have ever bought from AOA that was not of the highest quality. The bottle is flimsy and the "powerhead" wasn't able to regulate the CO2 so that too often water went back up the outlet pipe.

I struggled with various configurations until eventually the flimsy lid on the bottle broke making the whole thing redundant. It was less effective than the home setup I used before it.

Avoid.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Red sea bought dupla a while ago and now make a newer version of the same product. It's basically everything you would make in a DIY system but done for you.

The 'refills' they sell you really are just a container of sugar with a small vial of yeast.

If you want an easy DIY system just buy this and refill using the container that comes with the kit. The refill container has a raised line around the inside of the container that you fill sugar to, and they come with a plastic vial that you can use to measure the yeast out, then just follow the rest of the instructions. Works perfectly.

They retail for around $70 at your LFS, or around the $50-60 mark online.

I bought one off ebay for $40 and there is still another one there last time I looked.

It's a great 'alternative' to DIY. I'd recommend it.

I have had the Dupla one for a while and am struggling with it. I am thinking of seeing if I can get some credit for it. What I find with mine is that it only works if I manage to increase the temp inside the container with the sugar solution inside. If I put this container in another container with some boiling water in it it sends bubbles into the tank for about 10 minutes. Other than that it does nothing. I wasn't made aware that temp was an issue when I bought it, maybe they didn't know, so I don't believe it is the store's fault. I bought another pack of sugar solution to see if it was the first lot that was a bit dodgy but I am having the exact same trouble again.

Just wondering if this is a problem that occurs with the updated one?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Like any DIY co2 system they can take up to 24 hours to start producing bubbles. Temperature is a factor, but would not stop production altogether (My house has been getting to -1 lately and its still working).

Heat makes the reaction faster, but a lot shorter lived. If you put it in boiling water it would no doubt produce a lot fo bubbles, but stop very quickly as the high temperature will kill the yeast (Yeast is a living organism).

Start again and leave it alone for up to 2 days. You should see 1-2 bubbles every second after a week. With luck it will last up to a month.

Also, stop buying refills. Measure out the sugar and yeast yourself. Will cost you almost nothing.

I'm tempted to plug my home brew kit into my planted tank - a 30l generator has to make more CO2 than a 2l one hey laugh.gif

Well yes, 30l of co2 generating yeast would certainly be enough for a tank.

Just in case anyone wants to try it though, a high amount of co2 in your tank can be very bad.

All yeast systems have their dangers though. Just be thankful you're not this guy who'se DIY system sucked the yeast into his tank..

I highly recommend the use of a one-way valve on your DIY setups.

user posted image

I had that happen once, I found simply putting the generator above the level of the tank solved it - but yes a check valve to stop the tank water siphoning into the generator will solve the problem (it's the tank overfilling the generator that causes it, not the yeast/sugar/CO2 going mental or anything)

Archived