Post your Bichir pics!

watsonboyd

Lovely bichirs, though I'm a ornate bichir fan. Your incredibly lucky they bred for you. They are expensive fish.

Bruce

I have posted up a few lengthy indepth descriptions of how I did it.

Spawning is the easy part, hatching the eggs and raising the fry is where the challenge begins.

Have some photos of my ornates somewhere, trying to find them.

Alex

G'day

i Know i probably wont get much responce to this but i would love to see some pics of some Polypterus that are in australia.

Cheers

Boyd

Hi Boyd Endlicheri are my fav thumbup.gif

My mates Bichirs

Endi No 1 = 6" love this blokes markings

user posted image

user posted image

Endi No 1 photo is no good eyes out of focus have not had much time for photography lately sorry for poor pics

user posted image

Endi No 2 young 4 1/2" only eating live fish

user posted image

Endi No1

user posted image

Just realized I have no shots of the ornate maybe soon can tell the Endis are my favorite.

Alex do you think the Endi No 1 is a female ? shot 3 has the anal fin

I have posted up a few lengthy indepth descriptions of how I did it.

Spawning is the easy part, hatching the eggs and raising the fry is where the challenge begins.

Have some photos of my ornates somewhere, trying to find them.

Alex

Can not find dntknw.gif

Got a link

thx

Rat

i have a pair of ornates 25cm, and a couple of endis around 30cm cant quite sex them yet, guessing 2 males, endis grow very fast, got them of sooty not that long ago and they have basically almost tripeld in size, outgrew my ornates very quickly. I will see if i can post some pics up.

meanwhile here is a very good link to a "endi club" web page

check out this fat endi

http://www.endlichericlub.net/gallery/show...catid=newimages

there are more bichirs in the album

cheers!

nick!

i have a pair of ornates 25cm, and a couple of endis around 30cm cant quite sex them yet, guessing 2 males, endis grow very fast, got them of sooty not that long ago and they have basically almost tripeld in size, outgrew my ornates very quickly. I will see if i can post some pics up.

nick!

Love to see some pics of the 30cm endis how big were the endis when you got them ? and how long is not that long ago ?

Have you got them all in the same tank ?

What size tank are they in ?

What have you been feeding them ?

lol so many questions sorry just love to know

The one my mate got from the same place you did will not eat anything but live fish its a pain the other two will eat anything you give them.Maybe he is just to youg?

Bichirs do get big have you seen this shot

user posted image

thx

Rat

got the endies at 12cm, i fed them hikari sinking carnivore pellets, they reached 30cm, around 4 months, they growth rate ha slowed down now, i belive its because the tank i have them in is too small, a standard 4 footer.

My ornates took one year to reach that 25cm, got them at 10-12cm, i think they would be alot bigger but i had them in a standard 2 footer for 6 months, fed them the same thing with the occasional live feeder as the occasional treat. I keep all 4 bichirs and 8 discus together, in a heavily planted tank, they occassionally fight, sometimes they all lie together or right on top if each other without any fighting.

Endies are much better eaters, and smash the feeders alot faster than ornates, because they have a much wider mouth and just more agressive in my opnion.

I plan to move them to my 8x2x2 very soon.

Still quite a few going around at the moment at very good prices, wont mention any names but i have seen ornates and endies around $300 in LFS in canly vale.

So much cheaper than what they were a year ago.

I dont see why it wouldnt accept anything but live food, they are generally not fussy eaters, i know all of them are fed blood worms and feeders when they are young/ brought into the country my bichirs refused to eat pellets for a few days but after that they love it more than they do peeled prawns. Tell him to keep trying with the dry food, otherwise its goin to cost you some serious $$$$ when that monster grows up

nick!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived