Jumping ACEI

Inphatu8

Hi All,

I am hoping that one of you out there have experienced this before. I came home from work on Friday afternoon, Decideded to feed my Fish, opened the Hood to my tank, and discovered to my Horror, my biggest and best looking ACEI on top of the Glass, fairly Dried and a bit stiff. I was shocked!!!, then got myself together and noticed that he was still gasping. I threw him back into the Water.

I am concerned about his survival. His eyes and a fair bit of his body were covered with a white Film. When i fisrt put him in (the First 30 mins) he was not swimming at all, just gasping. Other curious fish came to him and nudged him at will. At the same time I decided to put in some Salt, to help with infections if any that might be incurred. I also added generous amounts of water Conditioners (for slime coating)

After the firdt 30 mins, he could swim, but only when he needed e.g when he felt threatened. What he Does is finds a quite area and just lies down and keeps waving the fins near his gills. It is now sunday and he is Still doing this, lieing either on his Side or on his back. He is a lot less stiff, but still looks battered.

I really need some suggestions to help this guy out. Also if He has Sustained any permanent Damage done. cryblow.gifsad.gifsad.gifcryblow.gif

thanks Guys!!!

Hi All,

I am hoping that one of you out there have experienced this before. I came home from work on Friday afternoon, Decideded to feed my Fish, opened the Hood to my tank, and discovered to my Horror, my biggest and best looking ACEI on top of the Glass, fairly Dried and a bit stiff. I was shocked!!!, then got myself together and noticed that he was still gasping. I threw him back into the Water.

I am concerned about his survival. His eyes and a fair bit of his body were covered with a white Film. When i fisrt put him in (the First 30 mins) he was not swimming at all, just gasping. Other curious fish came to him and nudged him at will. At the same time I decided to put in some Salt, to help with infections if any that might be incurred. I also added generous amounts of water Conditioners (for slime coating)

After the firdt 30 mins, he could swim, but only when  he needed e.g when he felt threatened.  What he Does is finds a quite area and just lies down and keeps waving the fins near his gills. It is now sunday and he is Still doing this, lieing either on his Side or on his back. He is a lot less stiff, but still looks battered.

I really need some suggestions to help this guy out. Also if He has Sustained any permanent Damage done. cryblow.gif  sad.gif  sad.gif  cryblow.gif

thanks Guys!!!

Mate, you have done all you can! I had the same thing happen and the fish bouced back and lived ( until he eventually knocked off the tank lid and died behind the tank one night ! ) Sounds to me like he might pull through as he is swimming and moving!

Time will tell. But I'm positive he will recover and be unscathed by this incident wink2.gif

Rob

I found my dogs trying to eat my salmontail once, he was nearly dry but gasping. back in the tank & normal within 24hrs though in his case, yours sounds a lot worse. sad.gif

Hopefully he'll pull through

Hey guys, thanks for Your replies,

I just noticed the the little fella's Passed away!! sad.gif

I think he would have survived if I had separated him from the Rest of the pack. I think they gave him a hard time as I could Later see his Fins nipped and getting bloody on the edges. I put him in a fry Saver but now his dead.

Damn!!!!

He was very healthy and was going to be a big and Very nice looking Fella from the rate he was growing and his awesome colouring!!!!!

Pretty Sad at the Moment!, big loss for me!!! sad.gifsad.gifsad.gifsad.gif

damn! do you think there is a way you could prevent a re-occurance?

how big is the gap he got up through? I blocked the rather large gap where my salmon tail jumped from with some left over egg crate, just have to weigh it down & you can still drop in food past it so it doesn't have to move often.

I find that my Acei seem to jump and splash more than any other Malawi species I've ever owned, especially when I feed them. In the early days I used to get the odd one leap thru the tiny gap where I'd throw my food in, so I soon learnt to close all reasonable gaps pretty quick. dry.gif

Archived