How many fish per colony?

mcloughlin2

Hi,

Again dependant on the variant, and your experience and time you have for care you could manage to keep 15-20 Tropheus in a 4x2x2 appropriately decored smile.gif

Try and steer clear of the black variants as they can be difficult to care for in smaller environments.

Please give us a more specific fish and our responses with suit better woot.gif

Aline

Possibly some Tropheus Ikola?

Not sure if thats the correct name...

smile.gif

I have kept and breed africans cichlids for years now but have never had any tropheus or Tropheops so im just trying to decide which one would better suit my 4ft...

You mentioned that you wanted to house them in a standard 4 footer. I honestly don't think this tank is big enough for a healthy Tropheus colony. It doesn't mean it hasn't been done successfully by others but the chances of success are smaller. As Aline said a 4x2x2 is much better for a colony of Tropheus. As far as Ikola are concerned, there is debate whether they are species black or their own species, they are however similar to sp. black as far as their aggression is concerned.

By the way, that 5x2x2 you are hoping for would be perfect smile.gif.

Jamie.

Possibly some Tropheus Ikola?

Not sure if thats the correct name...

smile.gif

I have kept and breed africans cichlids for years now but have never had any tropheus or Tropheops so im just trying to decide which one would better suit my 4ft...

Yep right name.........Tropheus kaiser "Ikola" (KI) Yellow band stops at the base of the dorsal fin thumb.gif

They are from the black family - but not as cranky as some. You may have greater success when growing them up all together as fry thumbup.gif

Have you checked out the other Tropheus threads on this forum?? as well as some of the great sites on the net on T keeping??

Cheers

Aline

hi Sam

there is a vast difference between looking after tropheus or tropheops. you just can't compare the two. do some research, and see if you have the time required to look after tropheus. they are demanding of water conditions and food, that's where the time factor kicks in. do it wrong, you'll be asking why are they dieing.

it's not hard, but they demand #1 priority. the "do it tomorrow" attitude is not good enough.

HTH; Colin

Col makes some good points. If you are prepared to do the routine things right Tropheus will reward you. It's no secret around here that myself and others around here just love our Ts.

To answer your question, I'm sorry but in my opinion a standard 4 footer is just not big enough for an adult colony. It would however, be great to use as a growout tank until you got a bigger tank.

Jamie.

Sam -

Tropheus are demanding little fishes, not for the weak hearted or light of pocket. Tropheops are a much better idea if you are relatively new to this hobby.

Archived