Massive Guppies 7cm +

barnesy

A few years back while squizing at the Aquariums up on the central coast I saw a tank full of 7+cm guppies.

They were awesome. Would these have been grown up in large outdoor ponds?

does anyone have any at this size?

barnesy

we get them occasionall here......... well they r pretty rare realy.....

i have seen them up to 10cm. and that one was raised in a 4 foot tank.

occasionally we can get "super breeder females" which are up to 7-8cm and breed like crazy!! thumbup.gif

occasionally we can get "super breeder females" which are up to 7-8cm and breed like crazy!!

Crazy is a bit of an understatement! I have half a dozen of these females and they breed better than rabbits LOL.gif.

A few of the male we raise end up quite big, but not as big as these females.

Cheers, Cassandra.

• 1 year later...

Theres a lfs here that often has 7-8cm ones in their planted tank ... bit of a drive tho :B

Hi,

Could you please tell me where abouts in Mildura this LFS is?

Thanks

Brendan

I searched a bunch of aquarium stores here in Sa, but biggest i found was about 3cm....

Any chance of a pic (i googled it but no luck)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

10cm???? sometimes i think people can over estimate a fishes true size.... magnifcation, lighting etc all contribute to over estimations. the biggest ive ever seen was about 5-6cm tops....

this is how big 10cm is.... *on my pc

[-------------------------------------------------------]

this is 5cm

[---------------------------]

10 is massive......

would love to see a photo with measurements cause if they are 8-10cm that is unreal and blows me away :clap imagine the size of a males tail at this size :thumbup: wow

LuNGz

• 3 weeks later...

I know a bloke who breeds guppies in a glasshouse in big black tubs. He throws a few plants in and lets them go for it, comes back three or four months later and the tubs are teeming with them.

In winter (its Canberra so they're only good outside for the summer) he keeps them indoors and they were huge. He'd only keep stocks of females tho, and use new boys each year. If thats ten cm's (as per post above) then I'd be pretty sure they were easily that out of the water.

I reckon its gotta be a combination of the outdoor environment where they are feeding up on all the bugs and whatever else plus great original stock?

Adrian

• 9 months later...

occasionally we can get "super breeder females" which are up to 7-8cm and breed like crazy!!

Crazy is a bit of an understatement! I have half a dozen of these females and they breed better than rabbits :lol3:.

A few of the male we raise end up quite big, but not as big as these females.

Cheers, Cassandra.

hey i was just wondering if you still had any that you could spare

Used to be able to get the super guppy's from one of the fish farms, havnt seen any on their list for quite some time though

Yes LuNGz they do get to 10cm just rare as these days to find them, would love to get my hands on some again though :)

• 1 year later...

A while back when I kept guppies I had a huge female, measured up at just below 9cm. She never had under 80 fry per brood, and would pop them out about once a month. Unfortunantly she died just after her last batch, must have had problem with pregnancy. Haven't seen any as big as her since.

Archived