discus?

catcher

G'day all,

I'm must be having a crisis of some kind, for some reason I want to do a planted tank with discus and whatever goes with them. The weird part is I know nothing about them, can anyone direct me to beginners help or give me the basics of whats needed.

I think I may of had too much red tonight!!!!!!!!! LOL.gif

cheers

glenn

i use to keep discus quite successfully, actually had about 20 tanks full of them.

the thing i noticed, and would say is the most important for a beginner would be water quality followed by varied diet. if you provide good water and do constant water changes they thrive. All my fish were kept in bare tanks, im not sure on how well planted tanks do on constant water changes, i.e if its bad for the plants.

As a very general observation discus do alot better in bare tanks as they seem easier to monitor as well as keep the environment clean, not saying it cant be done with a planted but would probably be alot more effort.

Give it a try, they can be very beautiful fish, especially watching them raise their fry naturally.

Let me know if there's anything specific you would like to know about discus care and il be glad to help you if i can.

HTH

G'day all,

I'm must be having a crisis of some kind, for some reason I want to do a planted tank with discus and whatever goes with them. The weird part is I know nothing about them, can anyone direct me to beginners help or give me the basics of whats needed.

I think I may of had too much red tonight!!!!!!!!! LOL.gif

cheers

glenn

Thanks Momo,

I'll be in touch if needed, any other general comments about Discus out there?

The reason I said planted was, inspiration gathered by a shot of a tank done by the master Amano. The site address below. Stunning shot.

http://visual35.tripod.com/amano/amanobig_10.jpg

cheers

Glenn

Why dont you ask Mike? He seems to know what he is doing LOL.gif

click me

Hi mate,

I had a very nice planted discus tank. It's not easy as they can be messy and eat alot as grow large. You HAVE to keep up the water changes to keep phosphates and nitrates down and stop algae growth on your plants ( very ugly in a planted tank ). Auburn Aquarium used to do one massive water change a week of 70% in their 5x2.5x2 planted discus tank! I preffered 2 smaller changes like 30-35% equally spaced. That way you suck out crap and keep the tank looking better and you don't shock the eco system so much.

Plants I highly recommend are any sword , pogo stemon ( awesome ) and chain swords.

Check out my tank entry in this months photo comp for ideas if you want.

I only ever fertilised with JBL clay balls as they last upto 12 months.

Lastly, this is not for the lazy!!!! gets tedious after some time that's why I took up cichlids! LOL.gif

Regards,

Rob

Thanks all,

I had spoken to Wayne about Discus and he told me about the Merrylands Club. Cool Aye!

Thanks everyone.

Glenn

Archived