Keeping gold comps

Fozz

[edit]Although I've only had experience with calvus, the altolamps are basically the same in breeding and other general issues - so this should easily apply for Gold Comps aswell.

I think you could squeeze a trio in by themselves, if your filtration was at least half decent. You should setup caves (pvc elbows, barnacles, shells) for each fish plus an extra, in case the male is really aggressive. A good substrate would be just your usual coral/limestone mixture for the pH buffering properties, although I've personally only spawned them in bare bottom tanks for ease of maintainence. Given that they are mature fish, the key is to condition the females well (chopped or small earthworms are a good for this) and keep an eye on the water quality - I was doing fine with 25% weekly changes. Like most fish, keep these conditions fairly stable and you'll see them spawning with regularity.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

They dont do too well with active fish as they can be outcompeted for food, but if you have them by themselves and there is the correct sex ratio then it would be OK. Feed them lots of frozen brine.

However when feeding frozen foods, ensure that the food is suitably defrosted. It has been brought to my attention throwing things in directly from the freezer is too cold for fish and can quite often result in death.

Just some random facts.

Mitch

Archived