Adequate filtration?

Out of Africa

I have been looking into alternate filters ( you may have read my qu's on the sacem range etc ) . I have a 5x2x2 stocked with ( all fish are babies now ) 7 Fronnies , 2 Gibbiceps, 2 e. yellows , 2 cobalts and 2 e. blues. I am running 2 x Fluval 304's on this tank and am worried it will not be enough when they grow up?

If so, what should I change to or ADD to my current setup. Pls note I have a 3D latex rocky background siliconed into the back glass panel and into both sides of the tank so an overflow is not an option and the tank has no weir. I'd like to rule out a mini reef due to the high cost of setting one up mainly ( pump , bio balls,rotator arm , sump etc) !

Thanks I appreciate your comments and suggestions,

Rob

I have been looking into alternate filters ( you may have read my qu's on the sacem range etc ) . I have a 5x2x2 stocked with ( all fish are babies now ) 7 Fronnies , 2 Gibbiceps, 2 e. yellows , 2 cobalts and 2 e. blues. I am running 2 x Fluval 304's on this tank and am worried it will not be enough when they grow up?

If so, what should I change to or ADD to my current setup. Pls note I have a 3D latex rocky background siliconed into the back glass panel and into both sides of the tank so an overflow is not an option and the tank has no weir. I'd like to rule out a mini reef due to the high cost of setting one up mainly ( pump , bio balls,rotator arm , sump etc) !

Thanks I appreciate your comments and suggestions,

Rob

From memory the 304's are about 700lph. so 1400lph on your tank is pretty good.

But as you will read many times from members, there is no such thing as over filtration...

If the tank is no a display there are all sorts of things you can do.

This is a good example : ACE

Display tanks make it much more difficult and your best option is going to be a canister i would say. Internals are ugly, however you might like the hang on design like the ever so popular emperor series.

On another note, 7 Fronny's will get crowded in that tank in the future.

good luck!

A 5x2x2 is about 600 litres by my calculations, if huzzy is right with the flow of the Fluvals I would be thinking that it's a little on the low side. I usually tell friends at least 3 times an hour for a standard tropical tank, with cichlids I go higher as they are generally big and messy.

I will be running Eheim 2213 (440lph) & 2217 (1000lph) and a Pro Aqua CF1200 (1200lph) on my tank, if I ever get the cabinet... That's over 7 times turn over per hour going on the manufacturer ratings.

An additional canister for extra bio filtration would probably be the way I would head to supplement what you've already got. If you like DIY then the above tank trickle is also a solid solution.

AC300 with 3 sponges for mechanical, put mostly biomedia in the existing cannisters & clean one at a time

I plan on having a 8x2.5x2.5 in a couple yrs so then the Fronnies will be able to stretch their fins bigsmile.gif

I do agree with you though

Nice!

i hope you have long arms......2.5ft high is pretty hard to reach the bottom. I have the same height and i have long arms and i still get sore armpits from the edge of the glass. But that extra 0.5 foot makes all the difference in looks imo.

I hear if you buy a 3fter and above they throw in a free set of goggles woot.gif

I plan on having a 8x2.5x2.5 in a couple yrs so then the Fronnies will be able to stretch their fins bigsmile.gif

I do agree with you though

Nice!

i hope you have long arms......2.5ft high is pretty hard to reach the bottom. I have the same height and i have long arms and i still get sore armpits from the edge of the glass. But that extra 0.5 foot makes all the difference in looks imo.

I hear if you buy a 3fter and above they throw in a free set of goggles woot.gif

LOL.gifLOL.gif I'm only 5'9 so I will take the goggles and perhaps a snorkel when it comes to the weekly vacuum and initial aquascape!

But that extra 0.5 foot makes all the difference in looks imo.

The 2.5' height looks stunning, it's surprising how much of a difference it makes to the look of the tank. There are some display tanks that are that height at a LFS in Hornsby, that's where I feel in love with them wub.gif

Archived