C. Popelini

ndoboi

Thanks all, sorry about the poo - at least you know they're healthy... thumb.gif

Similar to Julidochromis, warts on the mouth are the essential giveaway. That, plus no stripes below the eye and behaviour (i've kept many Chalinochromis in the past - hence the handle of ndoboi) smile.gif .

Full tank shot has been posted previously - but it got lost in a long thread. Here it is:

user posted image

They're sharing their home with 4 Leleupi, 7 Leptos, 3 BNs and 6 L104s.

Cheers

Steve

Nice pics. My fish were a paler colour:

user posted image

Your fish look a little different to these. The broken top bar is different. Where did yours come from? I'm not saying they arent popelini - they are very similar - but the colours look just a bit too smudgy for my taste and they might have seen some Julidochromis in their past.

Hi Yew,

Im tending to agree now - too many people have contacted me saying they look suss.... Piqued my interest and i've done a bit more research. You know how it is - looks similar when purchased so you stop bothering to be concerned, or even check the validity.

I thank all those that have raised the issue thumb.gif

Going back over the pics of my C. ndobnoi, and looking at your pic, I have noticed that the tail is a different shape sad.gif Strange that there could be a problem given the 'wart like' growths on their lips too.. Not to worried about the colour as my ndobnoi also used to change from pale cream to smudgy brown at the drop of a hat.

Like you say - maybe a Chalinochromis/Julidochromis hybrid.

These pics have been forwarded onto Ad Konings for a gander, I'll see what he has to say about it but it's not looking good for their future.

They were purchased recently up here in Brisbane off a hobbyist.

Cheers

Steve

Steve -

I'm sorry to also bring this bad news. There patterning is similar - but not quite the same as the fish I had (which were ex-WA). Feel free to use my pic in your ID quest.

David.

The tail is reminscent of J. regani. I wonder if it's a cross to this species - then back breeding to C. popelini or just line breeding with it's own primary hybrids?

Cheers Roland smile.gif Nice looking fish! thumb.gif

The thing that turned me off thinking they were related to regani is the lack of stripes on the face below the eye. Otherwise, like you say, they are similar in shape and colour.

Im most likely going to destroy these guys but I wont rush in before everyone has had their say.

Cheers

Steve

Have you contacted the seller? He's probably your best source of information, and if it's dubious i'm sure he won't mind buying them back from you...

Cheer Mitch

As always Mitch, you're full of good ideas clap.gif

I have sent off an email requesting background info on them but im not concerned about the purchase - caveat emptor. I should have known better having kept Chalinochromis in the past (rather embarrassing, actually...).

Id rather destroy them if they're a hybrid and not risk them, or their progeny, getting around in the hobby.

Cheers

Steve

I highly doubt it Mitch, but im doing my bit to prevent any further spread..

If there are more of them around they should be in the Brissy area - keep your eyes out.

Steve

Archived