Power Outage

edas

Hi All,

I have just been informed that my house will have no power for up to 6 hours on Wed. I am right in the middle of cycling my tank. I have two large eheim cannisters running. I have read that a lack of oxygen for a certain period of time will kill the ammonia/nitrite consuming bacteria, allowing the conversion back to nitrite and then ammonia. When the pums restart the polluted water will be returned to the tank.

What do people do to counteract this problem? Does anyone use some sort of back up power supply? No offence to the 10 comets currently doing me the favour of cycling the tank, but at least I don't have the tangs in there yet!

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Edas

don't let the ehiems restart when the power is restored.

strip them down and give them a gentle wash up, using water from the tank.

then restart them. it may set the cycle baqck a day or so, but you shouldn't have any real dramas. if you're really keen or concerned, a battery powered air pump hooked up to both canisters, just to blow air in and let them bubble untill the power comes back on

don't stress out, it will work

cheers; Colin

I bought a little GMC generator from bunnings for 99 dollars. They are two stroke and last for about 7 hours on one tank depending on the load placed on it. Very handy in power outs. I had a twister come through my place last winter and I lost power for 2.5 days. This ran two blowers and quite a number of cannisters all in all saving alot of fish. I think they can draw up to about 750 watts.

Chuck smile.gif

G'day Edas

I reckon the cheap but noisy generators are the way to go for today.

If you want a solution that is a lot more permanent and works when you are not home then have a look here.

DIY Backup power thread

(PS It is not a solution that I can help you with atm but I am trying to solve the problems.)

G'day Edas

I reckon the cheap but noisy generators are the way to go for today.

If you want a solution that is a lot more permanent and works when you are not home then have a look here.

DIY Backup power thread

(PS It is not a solution that I can help you with atm but I am trying to solve the problems.)

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the info. Will check it out. I guess electricity is something we take for granted but loss of power for any great length of time can have severe consequences on an aquarium.

Cheers

Edas

G'day Edas

We lived in the Blue Mountains and regularly suffered power problems due to our position on the power grid (800m away they always seemed to have power blink.gif )

We all need to have plans and equipment ready for when the power fails.

At the very least I would suggest battery airpumps with batteries taped to them (this way they won't get borrowed) one for each tank. A better option is a generator and better still a permanent battery backup.

PS if you didn't get a generator, please read what Col had to say he is spot on. Remove and open those cannisters whilst the power is off and wash them out in tank water before they go back in.

Goodluck today. smile.gif

We lived in the Blue Mountains and regularly suffered power problems due to our position on the power grid  (800m away they always seemed to have power  blink.gif )

What about a really LOOOOONG extension lead and friendly neighbours LOL.gif

Archived