tropheus duboisi... how to do it right...

Gav

well was a little bit stoked last night. came home to find my duboisi have bred for the first time ever. not sure i have been doing the right thing for this to happen. i think they have had 2 or 3 water changes so far this year, and are in a totally bare 4x18x18 with only an aquaclear 500 on it for filtration. didnt realise that was all, i thought i had a canister going as well, but seems this was unplugged without me realising heh. all are in good health and shape so havent been doing much other than feed em NLS. shock.gif

funny thing is i tried for ages with other colonies of tropheus in the past and have had nothing but grief. i did regimental water changes, super filtered them, set the tank up nice and all they did was die through aggression, sickness or mistakes on my part.

sometimes i just dont "get" fishkeeping. dntknw.gif

LOL.gif Guess you were over thinking it before hey? laugh.gif

Shows the humble AC series are underrated though doesn't it?

How many duboisis you have in there?

By totally bare, you mean not even any substrate?

no substrate, rocks, anything. bare tank. i had rocks at one stage and they smashed each other, so took it all back out, nevere bothered replacing it cos they were happy.

there is 20 something in there, all about 6-8 cm or so i guess. maybe some a little larger.

Well done Gav. I have nothing useful to add but that needed to be said wink2.gifwoot.gifclap.gif. I have not kept Tropheus yet but I will start with dubosi so I will watch this thread with interest.

cheers

rosco

Hey, nice work thumbup.gif Sounds like some of my tanks haha. I am thinking of getten some T's, not sure what type as yet, thinking maybe duboisi as they seem the easiest to keep. How would they go in one of those 1000 ltr tubs in my fish room post? If i just chucked 25 in there? Would they breed alright and would any fry survive? Thanks guys, if you dont want me to ask stuff in your post just say and ill make a new one thumbup.gif Thanks.

I wouldnt put them in a plastic tub, after all why spends hundreds on fish and not be able to see them, not to mention not being able to see how they are going!

GAv it just goes to show that no method is perfect or the only way etc,

whatever works for YOUR fish is best!,

personaly i prefer them to feel at home

I wouldnt put them in a plastic tub, after all why spends hundreds on fish and not be able to see them, not to mention not being able to see how they are going!

I was thinking of putting them in there for awhile and letting them grow up then putting them in a tank in my room when i get the money thumbup.gif

Archived