Saratoga with parasite?

Crimson Jack

hey

I have a problem with a recently purchased leichardti saratoga. He seems in perfect health and is feeding well but his poo is long, white and stringy. I have never encountered this before but remember reading somewhere that the likely cause of this is an internal parasite. Having had no experience with this i have no idea how it should be treated or even if it is treatable? Returning the fish may be an option but it was a private sale not from a dealer so if it is treatable i would probably prefer to treat it rather than try to return him. Any help would be much appreciated.

What sort of diet do you have him on at the moment?  Any chance it includes earthworms?

No. At least not in the time i have had him. He seems to like pellets. Hikari cichlid gold in particular along with the occasional goldfish and i have fed him frozen bloodworms once or twice

I'd stop the feeding of goldfish as a start. Earthworms don't do anything to them, except provide them with exceptional nutrients. I'm leaning towards the thought of a parasite problem in the gut or something, but i could be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived