L46 Zebras on the cheap!

wui39

$45USD WHOLESALE sounds about right for Zebras in the USA according to what I've been told by people in the aquarium trade over there...But what does it mean to us in Australia dntknw.gif

"Zeb nz" would appear to from New Zealand, and most Loricariidae are allowable imports over there...I think?

You can't legally import L046 into Australia. So even if you could purchase then for $45USD, it would be very tough getting them here.

Something I strongly suggest nodoby tries, as there are serious penalties for this type of thing.

The best and cheapest option is to find someone that has been able to breed L046 in Australia and sells the fry.

Even then you would still be up for about $750/fish 3-4cm. cryblow.gif

There are a few no nonsense successful Zebra breeders around the world.

Have talked to a guy in Canada. 3 cm SL tank bred Zebras,,,,C$35 ea

In Germany one clever aquatist had 8 breeding pair producing around 100 fry per month and earning him 20 Euro per fish. Like printing money he reckoned, but legal yes.gif

Apparently the "Zebras" are wild caught from Peru. Since the Rio xingu is in Brazil, and a couple of thousand kms away, I'd say they would be one of the many other black & white (or striped) Lnos that often get exported as Hypancistrus zebra.

Archived