Tropheus Moliros

roskam3001

I have a small colony of adult tropheus moliro's with a serious ratio mismatch of 5m 2f (yes, I am trying to correct this but finding someone to part with adult females up here in qld is understandably difficult). Anyway, over past 2 weeks each of the girls have had their first mouthfuls but each of them only held for around 10 days. Is this normal for their first time or is the mismatch a contributing factor to them not carrying to full term. From my observations, the girls don't seem to be getting overly harassed by the males.

Hi,

Young cichlid females will 'practice' holding a few times before they finally get the hang of it and the T's are no different smile.gif 10 days is great with the ratio you speak of which bodes well for the future - although I would increase my attempts at getting more - Moliroman on this forum had a magnificent colony for sale for almost nothing only a short while ago sad.gif

Even though you may not be seeing any true aggression from the males they may be boisterous enough to annoy the girls nonetheless. Once the girls hold to term they will be holding for 4 weeks and sometimes longer but continue to eat sparingly during that time so do not lose condition to the extremes of other mouth brooders.

Give them a few more goes at it and see what happens. The Black/Reds, traditionally do not do well in smaller colonies and as they mature further the boys may become too much to handle for the two ladies.

This is definately the place to be for sourcing some more .......anyone out there have a small colony they want to pass on or a large colony they may want to split thumbup.gifwoot.gifthumbup.gif

HTH

Thanks for the info Aline. Unfortunately I missed moliroman's ad. I will certainly be visiting the classifieds section with more frequency in the future.

In terms of adding to the colony, in your opinion, is it better to add adults, juveniles or a combination of the two. I have received advice which argues both cases.

Thanks

Neil

If you add juveniles your current adults will pretty much leave them alone. Adding adults will work but you have to do a couple of things first.

1. Take all the rocks out and leave it like that for 1 week. This enables the colony to re-establish itself as far as territories go.

2. For the first 24 hours cover the whole tank with a blanket. This calms them down.

This advice was given to me and I have used it with success when adding adults to an already established adult colony.

I have added juveniles to my colony without any adjustments and they got on fine.

Good luck with your search. Frontyking very recently was selling his entire adult Moliro colony. Check out those classifieds now mate, they could still be available.

Jamie smile.gif.

Hey mate, there are 2 ads, I just checked it out. The first one is the selling of juvies, I think they're all sold. The second ad refers to his breeding colony. They don't appear to be sold. The ads are on page 2.

Also, after a week of having the rocks out, put 'em back in smile.gif.

Archived