beach sand or coral sand

kendalli

Should I use beach sand for my substrate or coral sand for my display tank or maybe even a combination?

I have beach sand in a couple of my tanks but thinking of going back.

I have rostratus though and they love digging and burying themselves in the beach sand. Whats the preference?

I personally would use coral sand, although it is more expensive it has a lot better qualities. It brings the pH right up which cichlids love. Also it doesn't go in the filter or siphon easer. There is also less problems with air bubbles gettings stuck in it.

Bruce

Depends what you're after really. I myself don't like the look of coral sand compared to normal fine sand, the self rising pH factor which the coral sand doesn't really bother me as my waters all pre-conditioned with lake salts and buffer, and my tanks have limestone in them so there really isn't any reason for me to use coral sand. In the end its up to you, im sure the prices of all the coral sand would build up to that of the buffers and salts in the long run.

hth

Richard

if you want the buffering effect that coral sand offers, you can use broken oyster shells or shell rubble in the filters.

coarse river sand would be good. it won't pack down as hard as beach sand.

crushed limestone [1mm] or limestone sand is also available. both are excellent products.

HTH; cheers; Colin

Archived