Whats the current go with Bio Balls?

burgoid

Hey guys, I know there has been a bit of contraversy around bio balls latley and was just wondering what the current thinking is on them. the reason I ask this is beacuse I am going to need to change the water level in my sump to a bit more than 1/3 to water accomodate the new pump and was wondering if it would be a good idea to use the above water area purely for meachanical ( spnges and filter floss) and use the underwater area for Biological ( matrix or anything some one can reccomened).

-Cherrs Dave

Do you have bioballs already or not?

Usually after a waterchange the bottom row or two of mine are submerged & the evaporation in a week or two gets them out of the water. Of course at most only about 1/4 of them are ever submerged.

They are still a surface area so do work underwater, their benefit is out of the water though. (gas exchange)

Your matrix under the waterline & mechanical above would probably be the ideal situation of course and yes Matrix has more surface area so you need less of it to do the same job.

Really though, why throw stuff out if it'll work?

Try the sump with the higher waterlevel as is first - I bet you won't notice a difference.

I do have a few currently and beacuse my sump is divided for the two drains I will probally have the far side with a few bios balls which will then flow past the bottom of the second and onto the matrix that will be there, best of both worlds kinda thing.

Archived