Some of my Tanganyikans

davez104

Hi all,

Been trying to get some decent shots of my fish, not working too well angry.gif but here is the best of what didn't get chucked out blush.gif

Julidochromis regani

user posted image

user posted image

Xenotilapia spilopterus wub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Ectodus descampsii

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Tropheus moori 'Moliro'

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hope you enjoyed raisehand.gif

Dave.

Thanks guys,

They are all in an 8x2x2 at the moment, but will look at splitting some of them up soon. It is starting to get a little crowded in there. There are also some ventralis, calvus, attenuatus and a few synodontis in there.

Dave.

Dave have my lil spilos had a mouthfull or is it just the sand?

how big are they now?, in an 8 footer there should be heape of room for em all, i mean there is maybe 50 fish in my 8footer, and it looks to be similar fish to you.

Pics are not that bad, i know how difficult it can be

A mouthfull? No such luck yet, just sand. I think I got 2M 1F. The 2 in the pic are always sparring with each other and show really clean colour, if that makes sense. The other one always seems to show dark blotches on its sides and never joins the displays, what are your thoughts Mick?

A quick head count and I think I've got just over 40 fish in there, many only young yet, so maybe not too crowded. The male ventralis is the only one that worries me, I think he's hyperactive or has ADD or something! Hard to estimate size of the spilos, but certainly heaps bigger now, seem to be doing really well.

I'll see what I can do with some full tank shots tomorrow, batteries are on the charger ATM.

Dave.

Hey Dave

What are the numbers of each in the tank?

My spilopterous are usually allways showing off as well, so have the bright couloured dorsal fin, i am pretty sure i have 2 pair, but only one has ever spawned that i know of.

They usually show the sploches when they are just hanging abouts, content sorta thing, and really noticable when sleeping, i think it is their "default"colouration

they looked better in the fish room when the sun light would strike them and all the pearly purple spots would jusmp out at you.

My ventralis male is pretty calm in my tank! never even tried to make a spawning site they just cruize about doing their own thing.

Mick,

This is what is in the tank,

4 ventralis 1M 3F

3 spilopterus

10 descampsii

3 regani

3 attenuatus

5 tropheus

4 calvus

1 compressiceps

5 multipunctatus

2 petricola

2 bristlenose

The male ventralis is constantly on the go, displaying to the females, preparing his spawning site and generally being a nuisance to everyone else. He doesn't actually harrass anyone, he's just constantly on the move. They all seem to be doing well, but I would like to set some up in breeding tanks of thier own, just don't have the room at the moment.

Thanks.

Dave.

That's a nice setup, I assume your compressiceps is an Altolamprolgus and not a Dimidiochromis. Could you post some pics of your Lepidiolamprologus? B

Bruce

Struth Dave you have a lot of rock dwellers in there, do the squabble much?

It sounds like a colourfull tank, would be good to see, still a bit of room in there but, currently i have:

30 tropheus Kachese

3 ventralis

2 sexfasciatus

4 leleupi

2 lepto malasa

1 lepto kitumba

4 spilopterous

1 N buescheri

1 Eretmodus cyanosticus

2 foai males

and i have plans to add more lol, want some more kachese, and a few more gobies, might even try a few multies in there seeing as i have a few extra...would love to add my cuckoos but they are too big, and besides the tropheus are breeding in there and they are worth way more than a few catfish...

and i have a few empty spaces mainly at the open ends the centre rock pile is a busy place but...

Nice assortment smile.gif you have there!! The descampsii have been a favourite for a long while - I am getting 10 more of them in the next couple of weeks thumb.gif

Cheers

Bruce, Yes it is an Altolamprologus.

Mick, There are no squables between the rock dwelers, the calvus, regani and tropheus are all small yet, so anything could happen as they mature. The only casualty I've had was a small regani that insisted on hanging around a couple of snail shells that the attenuatus wanted as a spawning site. They tried to chase the little fella away, but he kept coming back dntknw.gif so they ate him shock.gif Apart from that, everyone gets along great.

Aline & Sarah, Thanks for the kind words, I too love the spilopterus, and the descapsi are pretty darn funky also thumbup.gif

Thanks.

Dave.

LOl @ Dave

Have to love the lepidiolamprologus sp, nothing is a problem if it almost fits in your mouth...my attenuatus was swimming around with a small nigrippinis the other day kind smoking him, also had an elongatus thet all but inhaled a 10cm cylindricus! shock.gif well 4 cm of him anyway...Have you attenuarus spawned...sucsessfully yet?

Will have to make the voyage out there one day to have a look see,....

Great tank there Dave. Oh for an 8 footer cryblow.gif

I try to keep anything smaller than half their size away from my attenuatus. They seem to leave it alone if they cant eat it...

I have been searching for some kendalli for ages now. But they seem to have vanished???

If you're keen on more petricola Dave I have tiny bubs. They take forever to grow though, so will be a few months away.

Once again, awesome tank.... very cool....

cheers,

Jason

Mick,

The attenuatus spawned 4 or 5 times in the 8 footer, unsuccessfuly of course. I put them in a 3' for a while and now have 30 - 40 little fellas about 3 weeks old clap.gif The adults are back in the big tank now, I want to put my female ventralis in the 3' to condition them for a while.

Jason,

The attenuatus gave that little regani a fair chance. They chased him for over a week, I kept telling my partner, "this fish is gonna get eaten". And in the end, he did. The other 3 regani where all around the same size and none of them got bothered at all.

Would be interested in a few more petricola for sure when they are ready. I think I need about 30 so I can actually see a couple of them. They seem to be very shy.

Thanks.

Dave.

They certainly seem to give other fish a fair go. Much more placid than the bigger lepidio's.

I have 9 petricola. They are often out and about with that number. Previously I had 5 and they were quite shy. Then I got the 4 Andrew used to have and that made a big difference. They get very busy at feeding time.... they love their tucker. But they happily cruise the tank for periods during the day too. I'll let you know when they are 4-5cm. Which will be several months the way they are going. I dont know what happens to all that food they eat dntknw.gif

Cheers,

Jason

A couple more shots for you,

One end of the tank

user posted image

And the other end

user posted image

My male attenuatus

user posted image

And his girlfriend

user posted image

This is a male brevis I picked up on the weekend, not sure on the quality of this fella, what do you think??

user posted image

Here is his female

user posted image

Thats about it, I also have some olivaceous brichardi, not in this tank though. Also multifasciatus, some young nasuta 'gold' I also picked up on the weekend. That would be almost all the Tangs I have at the moment. . . . I think tongue.gif

Thanks.

Dave.

Archived