Couple of scuba pics from today

ViS

Wow, that's awesome. Is that a blue groper? What are the stripy fish called; Stripies? Do you need to be 18 to get your scuba license? What is the fish in the last pic? It looks like a cardinal fish crosses with a scat?

Bruce

It's an old wife - Enoplosus armatus.

Yes they are "blue gropers" or to be precise, Eastern Blue Wrasse (Achoerodus viridis)

The "stripey" fish are mado's - Atypichthys strigatus. Stripeys are Microcanthus strigatus and are yellow with black stripes.

You need to be 10 years old to do a scuba junior experience program, or 14 years old to do the full certification thumb.gif

Hey guys, great pics.

What do you use to take them? My digital camera isn't great enough to warrant spending the money on the waterproof casing but i'm really keen to get some shots next time we hit the water.

You can always buy a waterproof normal camera that takes film.  I got one in ALDI for $20.  I'm yet to get the pictures developed.

Bruce

I've tried the disposible waterproof cameras when snorkelling in crystal clear bright Tahitian waters, but wasn't sure how they would go as the depth (and the darkness) got greater. We might have to take a chance next time and see how they go.

Both Andy and I have Ikelite (see www.ikelite.com ) cases for our digi cams. Mine is just a P & S Olympus C740 ultrazoom and the case cost about twice as much as the camera did. Worth it though smile.gif

You can often pick up Ikelite cases on Ebay so it's worth keeping an eye out for them.

All I use is a canon G2 4.0 MP camera in an ikelite housing. No external flash, as I can't afford a strobe laugh.gif

It's basically a point and shoot underwater camera.

Those pics today were taken in about 19m of water, hence the blue tinge. Not too much natural light at that depth.

Those pics today were taken in about 19m of water, hence the blue tinge. Not too much natural light at that depth.

Thats promising then, ours is a Canon A520 (4MP P&S) so results are likely to be similar. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an Ikelite casing for it, but I know there are some out there that make them to suit.

How much does it cost for the full suit to actually start diving?

Unless you are going to be a mad keen diver it's often best to just hire the gear when you require. Last time we went out it was about $75 to get wetsuit, BCD, reg etc. with two air tanks. Basic gear doesn't seem too expensive, but if you are only doing a dive every few month it's a big outlay.

If you get mask, fins and snorkel if your own you can then use them when paddling around the rocks (ie. skin diving / snorkelling). thumb.gif

Last time we went out it was about $75

I hire out gear to previous students of mine for less than half that wink2.gif

Make sure you ask the shop where you do the course if they discount their hire rates for people who do the course through them. If they don't, well I'd shop around laugh.gif

Archived