Synodontis angelicus

DOOBIE

Hi all, just wondering the availability of these guys, price and what sort of tank suits them best, eg. africian or south american? (i've read contradicting information or at the least, very different).

Thanks Shane

Hi DOOBIE,

I can only give you some basic info, but I'm a catfish nut...so it should help a-bit blush.gif

They are an African Synodontis species. They're a RIVERINE fish (Congo from memory), so they're not suitable for rift lake water conds. Care and diet is similar to Synodontis eupterus. Tank setup...pretty standard for a nocturnal, riverine species: plants, soft rounded gravel substrate, these guys pick over the substrate for food, so sharp gravel should be avoided. And of course, lots of hiding places made from driftwood, you could also add some smooth rocks.

They are pretty hardy as far as water conditions go, stay away from extremes and they should be fine.

You might want to check out Panetcatfish. Look in the Cat-eLog section, family Mochokidae. http://www.planetcatfish.com/core/index.htm

Apart from that, they're a great looking fish, fantastic to keep and FAR too expensive in Australia.

-Shaun

Thanks guys for the info, saw a shop in QLD had some for sale $450 and wasn't quiet sure on the price (but sounded half decent). looks like have to give them a miss-only got two tanks one at 8ph 18dGH and the other 6.7ph 5dGH. Shaun once again your a river of knowledge,

Cheers Shane

Cheers Nigel, i'll pop in there on the weekend-that's if the boss doesn't decide to spoil my weekend! dry.gif ..

G'day

I saw some angelicus today a Riverside biggrin.gif .

They were $600. If I were you I would negotiate the listed price! The fish I think were about 6 cm SL... !

I don't believe Parramatta have the abovementioned angelicus anymore. (they may have more, so I would ring first before travelling)

I've also been told that this riverine species is fairly aggressive to conspecifics (other individuals of the same species) so lots of room and hiding places if you get more than one. Also keep in mind that they do get large so make sure that you either have a large tank from day 1 or be able to move it into bigger tanks as it grows.

Adam

Gudday guys, Nam at Aquarist Aquarium at Long Jetty on the central coast has a couple of 9-10cm beauties there for (I think it was) $300 each. Better give him a ring before you go to check - not dead sure on that price but I saw the fish sunday and they are nice. He also has a couple of syno brichardi that are very tempting!

Bye, Steve.

Hi all, went to Rod's and no more angelicus and to get norm to bugge on a price, i don't think i could afford that many! Might take a ride up to the central coast and have alook anyway, always good to see new shops and what they stock.

Shaun, i'll try and get to Norms to reidentify those Jurupari.

Cheer Shane

Heya

Veba's in Fremantle, Western Australia has them for sale (not relevant I am sure, but it is nice to have a comparison maybe?) They have 4 for 550 ea (or 4 for $2000) and a couple at $760 ea. They have all been in the shop for quite a while and seem to be growing well.

If you buy the fish as small as possible, then the aggression between conspecifics is non existant.

Regards

BT

Archived