Any new dwarfs around?

Simonauv

I don't suppose in all the new that stuff that has 'turned up' in Australia in the last few years any new dwarfs like Biotoecus or chromidotilapia sp. have 'turned up' have they? Or anyone seen any Nannochromis around?

I don't suppose in all the new that stuff that has 'turned up' in Australia in the last few years any new dwarfs like Biotoecus or chromidotilapia sp. have 'turned up' have they? Or anyone seen any Nannochromis around?

According to the current importable list, these are not listed (unless with a different name). It would be difficult to see them coming in as the market is rather small especially if they're going to "swim" into our shore.

Thomas.

According to the current importable list, these are not listed (unless with a different name). It would be difficult to see them coming in as the market is rather small especially if they're going to "swim" into our shore.

Thomas.

Neither are the L number catfish - yet they still seem to pop up - funny that.

Thomas.

Neither are the L number catfish - yet they still seem to pop up - funny that.

Ture for the L numbers - but there seems to be enough people willing to pay the extra for them. Not really sure about these cichlods though, can't speak for everyone.

Although not technically proficient with the L's, from what I've heard through the trade, so many juvies of non-permissible L's look like permissible one's, the AQIS inspectors don't pick up that they're not what the paper work syas they are.

Also, some "importers" will go to extreme measures... wasn't there a woman arrested in Melbourne recently with a number of L's strapped to her person?

This has all been going on for so long now. that they're readily bred by hobbyists and widely available from within the country.

An easy way to tell, is simply by the cost. If it's way too high, particularly when they can be purchased in their home country for a dollar or two, chances are they may have been brought into the country on the "down-low".

Not sure if there's enough dwarfophiles in the country to support demand for people to take those kinds of risks with new dwarfs.

p.

Although not technically proficient with the L's, from what I've heard through the trade, so many juvies of non-permissible L's look like permissible one's, the AQIS inspectors don't pick up that they're not what the paper work syas they are.

That's why the updated list has changed to enforce a minimum size (can't remember exactly, but quite a few cms) to allow for proper identification.

Thomas.

Yes, I can imagine how difficult it must be to tell those albino/orange spot etc L numbers from the Dekeyseria pulcher (the only Plec type catfish on the list) LOL.gif

Not sure if there's enough dwarfophiles in the country to support demand for people to take those kinds of risks with new dwarfs.

I don't want people to take the risk - I don't support that for 1 second - legal import and amendment to the list is the way to go. If there is low demand then maybe the risk is low and they may be granted entry.

Considering that ALL apisto's are on the allowable import list I cant see any real reason why you'd want to bring them in on the sly. The hardest thing is to find a supplier and importer willing to bring them in for you.

Last time I looked, Taenicara candidi are around if you look hard...

Biotodoma cupido are also around the traps.

... so are Biotoecus sp, Nanachromis transvestitus and nudiceps, lso around in Sydney.

Archived