heaters in side drops

lt2004

Hi all, are the std heaters suitable to put in the side drop filters. There is a gap between the white polypipe (where it is difficult to pack filter media) close to the edges of the side drop, they could fit in there nicely, but is it practical?-safe?

The problem I could see with it is the water would flow more easily through the gap around the heater so your filter medium wouldn't get much water flow through it. I have made modified side drops with heater cavities, but not with that type. I suppose if there is space you could lie a heater down across the top of the media in a heater protector, but if you have it vertically I think your filtration will suffer.

G'day

It is possible to place them into a side drop filter.

Just increase the height of the grill enough so that your heater can rest underneath it.

There will be sufficient water passing through this area to prevent any areas from becoming too hot.

cya.

i have heaters in all my sidedrops . the water has to pass the heater on the way to the uplift . one other aspect is if you have aggressive fish as well , they can't knock it about . its a good place to breed mystery snails as well . when you do a water change make sure you cut off the air to your uplift tube otherwise your heater will be exposed . thumb.gif

Archived