Oh no

hoges

A friend of mine put his 6 inch red devil in a tank with a smiliar sized black belt for about halfa while waiting to transport him elsewhere....

He looked in 15 mins later and the red devil was in about 100 pieces and no longer a fish, It was sooo terrible, we felt soooo bad!!!

The Blackbelt has lived with other fish before and been fine, why the sudden change? :(

Sorry to sound cold blooded but its just the luck of the draw! It could just as easily been a red devil ripping up a black belt. I dont think theres any such thing as a 'typical' fish. I've got a 12" black belt and a 12" Red Devil and on a couple of occasions I've put them together in the same tank ( briefly). First time the Black Belt tried to hammer the Red Devil, second time the reverse and the Red Devil went ape---- and tried to kill the Black Belt.I wont try it again.

I guess' like people, fish have bad moods when they are more aggro than normal and some fish just dont like the look of other fish and attack them.

Tough about the Red Devil - theyre a great fish but so are Black Belts.

Just bad luck - wrong fish in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Not your fault!

Nick

Hoges, are you for real? I can't imagine a red devil getting cut up into 100 pieces somehow by a black belt. I would have thought they would just size each other up, maybe have a few nudges here and there and go their seperate ways.

Anyway if your friend wants another red devil, I am willing to part with mine. S/he's around 20cm long and quite stocky.

yeh we were somewhat surprised and upset by the outcome of the temporary housing.

I suppose it was the blackbelts tank and hence territory,well thats what we put it down to anyways :)

They're both big solid fish with bad attitudes. I think there may be some merit to the theory that it was the black belts tank. With fish that size, I think whoever gets in the first good shot will probably stun the other a bit and then get it over with before it recovers. The fish most familiar with the tank would probably have the initial advantage. As far as the black belt not hurting other fish previously, there aren't too many fish, apart from red devils, that will have a serious go at a sizeable black belt. I suspect this particular red devil bit off more than it could chew.

Cheers, Doug

Archived