HQB pumps

AzFish

Hey all,

Thinking of getting one of these ( the 4500 ) for my sump return as my PM is too noisy and is really starting to annoy me. Has anyone used this brand from AOA? Do they handle the back pressure well? noisy? reliable?

Anything has to better than a PM MKII.

Cheers,

Aaron

I've just thrown that exact model in a pond I'm fixing up, she's pretty quiet IMO & really moves some water!

I've had one running in my pond for over two years. Still goes like a tooper. Like ash said, they sure throw some water. SOmetimes it gets clogged with weed, and slows down, but it never seems to fail. Have run it dry a couple of times, but Ben stocks the impellors so I'm back in action in no time. I find them exellent value for money.

HTH,

JASON

i bought one to replace my king 4, best thing i did for the tank inside, mine is ion the sumnp to the 8 footer and is nice and quiet, works very well. rather happy ith it

I've had one running in my pond for over two years. Still goes like a tooper. Like ash said, they sure throw some water. SOmetimes it gets clogged with weed, and slows down, but it never seems to fail. Have run it dry a couple of times, but Ben stocks the impellors so I'm back in action in no time. I find them exellent value for money.

HTH,

JASON

slightly OT: Curious about your pre-filter (or lack there of)

I've got some 1" hose off the inlet barb going to a 2l soft drink bottle with the bottom cut off & some sheets of gutter guard poked up it. Lets it suck up the sludge to get removed in the out of pond filter without sucking up the fish or large debris.

Got it in one..... lack thereof.... laugh.gif I just use the grill that comes with it.

Thats a great idea. The reason I havent bothered too much is beacuse every 3 or so weeks I pull a wheelbarrow full of elodea from the pond. It only clogs when I leave it longer than that. I will try that little trick and see if it helps when the pond really fills up with elodea....

Cheers for the tip Ash, top idea... thumbup.gif

I like the HQB i have so far but if you get the more powerful models there is definitely the potential for fish getting sucked in.. i popped mine into a cheap box with a lid.. cut large holes in the top.. then filled with bioballs and foam.. works a treat and i just take oout the top layers of foam to clean as necessary...

Archived