How Do you catch these Fish

catalyst

Ok I have spent the last 4 day off and on trying to catch my Labidochromis sp. hongi so I can seperate her before she releases her fry, Man she is smart and fast, has anyone got any suggestions to make it a bit easier?

I am trying my hardest not to stress her but I dont think she is doing the same for me! :(

I use a seperator to corner them.... then they can only swim so far. I leave the seperator in place for 15 or so, then the fish gets used to it and isn't stressed. Much easier to catch than in a big tank.

Just may way of doing it tho!!!!

:p I love this smiley :(

Try using two nets.

Have a big net set up somewhere - and then chase the fish towards it with the other one - if it swims into the big one, good. If you catch it with the small one, good. :D

Good luck - I spend three days chasing black widows around a 5x2x2 until i got the second net - and caught ththem all in about 10 minutes after that. :(

i use spare plumbing pipe which I add to the tank beforehand, its amazing how often subdominant and female fish will end up there when the males chase them from their favourite hiding spots. never had too much trouble getting fish out doing it this way. saves ripping the tank apart.

Nite-time catching is easy.

Take note the nite B4, of where she is sleeping and catch her with 2 nets after the light have been out for an hour or 2. Use a torch to spot her and place one net behind her and one in front. She should remain asleep for a few minutes and all you have to do is touch her with the rear net and she should dart forward into the other net.

HTH

yeah night time catching is the way to go with holding females. wait maybe 30 minutes after the lights go out - have all your gear ready, tank lid off, etc, and bobs your uncle - couldnt be easier

Cheers

WW :^:

Yes, use 2 nets and make sure that they are not too small, but not too large either so you can still manouver in the tank with them. I have no problems catching fish in my 4ft tanks it only takes a few minutes.

Also when I decide to catch a fish I remove most of the hiding spots from my tank, by removing them is still much faster then trying to chase the fishes around them.

Thanks everyone for your replies They have given me plenty of ideas. I have been useing 2 nets but she keeps taking off into the caves and I have about 60-70 Kg of rock in my tank so I cant really remove it all. I wiil strat with the PVC pipe Idea and used the Dynamite as my last resort.

Cheers Garry

Hey

You could also use one of your tank lids to trap the fish. Because the lids are a wide as the tank, you can submerse them so that their long edge is lying flat on the substrate facing the oposite direction of the front/back panels. You can then move the lid towards the fish making sure not to make any gaps between the front/back panels of the tank and the lid's short edge. I had to resort to this method when catching a 12cm salmon cat with a 7cm net. :)

Archived