Bristlenose Breeding

codyg

Hey Guys,

Well after trying for about 6 months maybe a bit more, and asking just about any one about it that i have seen talk about bristlenose how to breed, i finally got some eggs yesterday. thumbup.gifthumbup.gif

They are all orange, but over the day, they have been kicked out of the cave they are in, i have put them back in but once he goes back in the cave, they roll out again and he loses interest.

I have heard of this happening before, and im not too worried, and although im assuming that they will all pretty much die (fingers crossed some survive) will the male learn over time, how to treat the eggs better so they will stay in the cave, or will he continue to do it?

Currently the eggs are getting laid in good old matt caves btw so im sure these aren't the problem! tongue.gif

Hey Guys,

Well after trying for about 6 months maybe a bit more, and asking just about any one about it that i have seen talk about bristlenose how to breed, i finally got some eggs yesterday. thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif

They are all orange, but over the day, they have been kicked out of the cave they are in, i have put them back in but once he goes back in the cave, they roll out again and he loses interest.

I have heard of this happening before, and im not too worried, and although im assuming that they will all pretty much die (fingers crossed some survive) will the male learn over time, how to treat the eggs better so they will stay in the cave, or will he continue to do it?

Currently the eggs are getting laid in good old matt caves btw so im sure these aren't the problem!  tongue.gif

G'day Codyg

If he does it again they can be placed in a tumbler. A lot of the eggs will die due to fungus and they eggs won't tumble but with enough water passing through the tumbler some will survive.

The male will learn over time not to kick them out. Practice makes perfect.

Keep an eye on the weather fronts moving through. The day you see a large front passing through do a BIG water change. This will often be enough to trigger them. In the mean time keep feeding them well.

How many males and females have you got? In how many seperate tanks? What are their sizes/ages if possible? What are your water parameters? What is the temperature? Some of these factors myay play a part in them breeding or not .

hth

cya Matthew

Hey Matthew,

I have got 2 females, and 1 male in a 2ft tank. Last i check ph was about 7.4 and temp is set to 23-24. As for sizes i got (roughly) 10cm - male, 9cm - female, 6-7cm - female.

They also bred in one of your infamous caves tongue.gif

But the strange part is they have bred before (with the guy i got them off) but that was in a shell. Would this be the difference? and do you reckon he will just learn?

First time my male bred (for me anyway) a big clump of eggs feel out, more then he could handle i spose. I just put the clump in the egg tumbler and almost all of them hatched thumbup.gif

The cave should not cause an issue

I have noticed that sometimes when a male is disturbed they may kick out the eggs blink.gif . I recall this happening once when we had a party and the male obviously disagreed with it and so he kicked them out, twice (I put them back in)

cya

Guest parallel

Um...about a month ago I borrowed my mate female B/N and try to see if my male will have some loving with the female.

Initally I put them in a small tank and both of them don't seem to be in any mood. So I bring them across to my 3 ft with the Black Calvus and couple weeks later I found about 7 fry came out of the home made tile cave, which is surpose to be used for the calvus as a love shack. But now I am going to give away the B/N coz they can't STOP bloody breeding and taking up refudge on my tile cave.

Not happy Jan.

Don't know my exact water parameters but the temps is alway around 28 degrees and Ph should be 8.5 to 8.9.

Cheers

Parallel

Archived